Thread: Running Windows Inside Kubuntu from Existing Partition?

Beans

Running Windows Inside Kubuntu from Existing Partition?

Hey Guys,

I've found older posts on this topic, but wanted to know if there have been any newer developments.

I've got a machine which has a pre-existing Windows 7 installation, and I'd like to put Kubuntu on it for doing things only Linux will let me do. I'd like to keep my Windows partition, however access it from my Kubuntu partition, similar to how I would with VMWare, with the host/guest type setup except that the 'guest' operating system is installed and accessed from another partition. Is this possible and, if so, how would I go about achieving this? I'd only want to access Windows 7 from Kubuntu, not vice versa.

Thanks,

Liam

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Running Windows Inside Kubuntu from Existing Partition?

You could use VMware's free vCenter Converter to convert your Windows machine to a virtual machine while it's running. Then install Kubuntu, install VMware Player, and run your newly-converted Windows VM. I followed exactly this procedure to migrate from Windows 7 to Kubuntu, and it worked without a hitch.

Beans

If you keep BOTH the installed Win7 and run it in a VM as well, every time you launch Win7, it will have to be reactivated -- because the hardware profile looks different from inside the VM. Even with a retail version, after a few reactivations, it will refuse to reactivate again. Doing this will basically trash your Win7 setup.
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

True, I neglected to mention that. Thanks for adding. I figured the OP's goal was to replace Windows but keep existing data intact. The other approach, of course, is to set up dual-boot. After Kubuntu boots, you can mount the Windows partition and access the data there.

Beans

I only mention it, because this little-known problem is almost never mentioned when folks want to re-use their existing Win7 install but in a Virtualized environment.

It's pretty disappointing to suddenly find your bought-and-paid-for install of Win7 refusing to work because you unknowingly exceeded some UNPUBLISHED number of reactivations!
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.