Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Opens source for its lossless audio codec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Apple Opens source for its lossless audio codec

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    Closed source software keeps their users tied to their hardware. That's the Apple mantra, as it has always has been.
    Tied?

People choose to use the software and hardware because they like it. There are no victims on this scenario.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    People choose to use the software and hardware because they like it.
    Which is precisely why Steve Jobs stabbed the clone market in the back.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Tied?

People choose to use the software and hardware because they like it. There are no victims on this scenario.
    Uh you're the only one talking about victimhood here. I quite enjoy the role of Linux fundamentalist, but I wasn't playing that here. Apple's software is top notch. Their hardware is overpriced. Limit use of software to hardware: overpriced hardware is guaranteed to sell. Otherwise you're left with a very paradoxical portrait of consumers.

Beans
    Distro

Otherwise you're left with a very paradoxical portrait of consumers.
    Not paradoxical at all: the value is in the integration of hardware and software.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well value is an interesting and long discussion, but let's just remark that Apple by some sleight of hand (never mind what it is here, though I'd be happy to elaborate elsewhere) has managed to convince people that bargains, that old favorite of America, are no longer desired.

Beans
    Distro

Well value is an interesting and long discussion, but let's just remark that Apple by some sleight of hand (never mind what it is here, though I'd be happy to elaborate elsewhere) has managed to convince people that bargains, that old favorite of America, are no longer desired.
    No sleight of hand: stuff which just works is a value. Money is not a deciding factor for everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Someone wants an Apple product, therefore they value it, yeah Apple computers might be a bit overpriced, so what? It's someone else's decision, and their choice to buy and love Apple products. Everyone develops a brand loyalty for everything. I mean do you always get bread from a certain company, do you like certain restaurants that you repeatedly go to? Brand loyalty is everywhere, it's what people like, and it's their choice. Some people value different things than you, some people care to look at the source code of everything running through their CPUs, and some people just want to boot up their computer and look at funny pictures of cats or whatever. Isn't shoving the concept of "software freedom" down other people throats just as evil as the doings of corporations it claims to be fighting?

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh boy. This little exchange went from my suggesting the absence of a necessity to keep ALAC closed, to my citing an obvious example (in fact one that gsmanners also used), to accusations that I'm somehow calling Apple's users victims, and now I'm told I'm shoving something down someone's throat.

Beans

Oh boy. This little exchange went from my suggesting the absence of a necessity to keep ALAC closed, to my citing an obvious example (in fact one that gsmanners also used), to accusations that I'm somehow calling Apple's users victims, and now I'm told I'm shoving something down someone's throat.
    I have to agree. All you said was that this was a moot subject. (Which I agree with somewhat, however ALAC is important to a degree for Linux to support apple devices.)

You said that, and are now being batted with concepts like free choice and different requirements. Which your initial post had nothing to do with.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I never said you were shoving your values down people's throats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast