Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rolling release distro

Beans

Re: Rolling release distro

Tried Sabayon. It's great. Unfortunately, my part of Asia does not have much high speed internet access. Sabayon does a lot of updating but the closest mirror sites in Japan were still too slow.

I'm sticking with PCLinuxOS for a rolling release. Stable, many mirrors. It's fantastic.
    Xubuntu 11.10 64 bit

Beans

I love LMDE! +1
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I love LMDE! +1
    How was LMDE as an "out of the box" experience? I often find that getting Broadcom WiFi working is a big problem.
    Xubuntu 11.10 64 bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rojaasensei View Post
    How was LMDE as an "out of the box" experience? I often find that getting Broadcom WiFi working is a big problem.
    Yes, but at the time (me a complete noob) I was able to set up BCM4312 relativity easily.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Yes, but at the time (me a complete noob) I was able to set up BCM4312 relativity easily.
    Did that involve setting up a wired net connection, downloading drivers, etc.?
    Xubuntu 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am a huge fan of PCLinuxOS KDE for a rolling release. My graphics cards always work and the system is always very stable. I have been running PCLinuxOS longer than I have ran anything else in years!

I know everyone has their own preferences and reasons for what they run. I just got to the point where I no longer wanted to spend my spare time fixing things because I work a lot of hours these days. PCLinuxOS just works so well on all my computers and I do not have to worry about updates breaking anything.

For the first time in years I have actually upgraded my hardware to where I have pretty much a high end gaming system with all the bling and it is because the operating system has been so solid and reliable. I am happy all the way around with my hardware and operating system.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of my system now and collect music again and it's all because someone took the time and care to develop such a solid operating system. It's a total pleasure using my computer and I have been running PCLinuxOS since April of this year.

I love the mylivecd app that comes stock with the system! I have been able to give others the same great experience I have because of this app and it sure was handy when I swapped out my hard drive for a larger one. The PCLinuxOS tools are just terrific and I don't know how I ever lived without them.

PCLinuxOS has given me the best experience I have ever had since I started running Linux 9 years ago. Texstar and the PCLinuxOS Team have done so much for me and I am in their debt. I really enjoy my computer now!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    i am a huge fan of pclinuxos kde for a rolling release. My graphics cards always work and the system is always very stable. I have been running pclinuxos longer than i have ran anything else in years!

I know everyone has their own preferences and reasons for what they run. I just got to the point where i no longer wanted to spend my spare time fixing things because i work a lot of hours these days. Pclinuxos just works so well on all my computers and i do not have to worry about updates breaking anything.

For the first time in years i have actually upgraded my hardware to where i have pretty much a high end gaming system with all the bling and it is because the operating system has been so solid and reliable. I am happy all the way around with my hardware and operating system.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of my system now and collect music again and it's all because someone took the time and care to develop such a solid operating system. It's a total pleasure using my computer and i have been running pclinuxos since april of this year.

I love the mylivecd app that comes stock with the system! I have been able to give others the same great experience i have because of this app and it sure was handy when i swapped out my hard drive for a larger one. The pclinuxos tools are just terrific and i don't know how i ever lived without them.

Pclinuxos has given me the best experience i have ever had since i started running linux 9 years ago. Texstar and the pclinuxos team have done so much for me and i am in their debt. I really enjoy my computer now!
    +1
    Xubuntu 11.10 64 bit

Beans

Did that involve setting up a wired net connection, downloading drivers, etc.?
    Wired worked out of the box!

Beans

+1
    No 64 bit release yet -1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by terry_gardener View Post
    package signing is coming in pacman 4 and there is about 30% of packages in the testing repos that are signed so far.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=128670
    Just an update. Per this blog post from an Arch developer, "As of today, 100% of the packages in the [core] repo and approximately 71% of [extra] and 45% of [community] are signed."

Package signing had been a concern of mine with Arch, but I like the direction the community seems to be moving. I installed and played with Arch several months ago as an alternative distro to Ubuntu, and really liked it, but in all my experimentation, I managed to pretty much kill my system. I'd been waiting for some more progress to be made with package signing to reinstall and start from scratch, but I think now I will go ahead and do it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345