Thread: Screen Resolution - Everything I have tried fails!

Beans

Screen Resolution - Everything I have tried fails!

Here is the Reader's Digest version of a couple weeks of trying:

A full install of Ubuntu 11.10 with an Nvidia 8800GTS video card connected to an older 51" 1080i rear projection TV through the on-board S-Video (actually it is an adapter which looks like S-Video on the card side but goes out to R,G, B cables). The max resolution it is showing is 1024x768 which makes it so the side and top bars are not visible.

Here are some of the steps I have tried:

Code:
    cvt 1920 1080
    # 1920x1080 59.96 Hz (CVT 2.07M9) hsync: 67.16 kHz; pclk: 173.00 MHz
    Modeline "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync 

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

xrandr --addmode default 1920x1080_60.00
    I was able to get the 1920x1080 to show under System Settings > Display but when I attempted to set it to that it gave an error about the virtual screen size. I then added a line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Display section for Virtual 2048 2048. Then I logged off and logged back in again and tried setting it to the 1920x1080 again and received the following error:

The selected configuration for displays could not be applied

could not set the configuration for CRTC 351

Of all the things I have tried I have never had the correct resolution show up under the nvidia-settings GUI. I have also never been able to get it to switch to the correct resolution.

It does seem that before logging in the display is at the correct resolution but I can't be certain.

Please...any help is much appreciated as I have been fighting with this for weeks! I can try to provide any additional information you need. Also and I am not certain if it is related by Firefox crashes every time it is opened and I think it is related to screen position.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Screen Resolution - Everything I have tried fails!

I've never been able to get more than 1024x768 on a S-Video connection. That's an analog connection, may be 1080i would work?

Just a thought,
    Regards.

Beans

It isn't actually S-Video it is an Nvidia proprietary connection. As mentioned when the machine boots before putting in my password it appears to be at a higher more acceptable resolution. The 1024x768 resolution is unacceptable as the top and side bars are not visible.

Beans

Anyone? I know there must be people out there that have experienced this issue and know how to fix it. I would imagine it is something simple that I am missing but as I said I have tried everything I can find and still no luck. I could really use the help of someone who knows what they are doing!

Thanks

Beans

Yup, it's your connection, not your GPU/drivers, TV, or computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    S-Video carries standard definition video (typically at 480i or 576i resolution), but does not carry audio on the same cable.
    The gist is S-Video and the triple RCA it becomes can only output in VGA resolutions (4:3 aspect). The default and standard for the cable is VGA (640x480) but it can handle the image stretched up to XGA (1024x768). DVI will let you output in the proper 16:9 aspect for your TV, even if you have to convert it to HDMI. You can read more here, here, and get your knowledge on here.

You should be using one of those shiny DVI ports. If your TV doesn't support it, I'm darn sure it'll support HDMI. You can get a DVI to HDMI converter for cheapies these days, but you'll have to find a different solution for your audio output. Sorry.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blaqksheep View Post
    Yup, it's your connection, not your GPU/drivers, TV, or computer.

The gist is S-Video and the triple RCA it becomes can only output in VGA resolutions (4:3 aspect). The default and standard for the cable is VGA (640x480) but it can handle the image stretched up to XGA (1024x768). DVI will let you output in the proper 16:9 aspect for your TV, even if you have to convert it to HDMI. You can read more here, here, and get your knowledge on here.

You should be using one of those shiny DVI ports. If your TV doesn't support it, I'm darn sure it'll support HDMI. You can get a DVI to HDMI converter for cheapies these days, but you'll have to find a different solution for your audio output. Sorry.
    I took your advice and switched to a DVI-HDMI cable and it does now recognize the higher resolutions. The problem is I still am unable to see the launcher and the top menu bar. No matter which resolution I select the launcher and top menu stay off the screen. Do you have any idea on how I can correct this? Perhaps set some sort of offset or something?

Beans
    Distro

May be you are suffering from another problem: Overscan

If so, you have 2 options to solve it:

First (recommended): Some TV's have the ability to set how the signal is reproduced. In case of my Sony Bravia you can fix it by setting 'Full Pixel' to Screen -> Display Area. In my brother's Samsung you would set the attribute P.size to 'Full Scan' ( in the Picture Options -> Screen Size menu if I remember correctly).

Play with the options available on your TV, may be the option is not easy to see. Check your manual or research about it on the Internet.

Second: the 'Nvidia X Server Settings' has an option to correct overscan manually. Check this article.

Tell us how it goes,
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    May be you are suffering from another problem: Overscan

If so, you have 2 options to solve it:

First (recommended): Some TV's have the ability to set how the signal is reproduced. In case of my Sony Bravia you can fix it by setting 'Full Pixel' to Screen -> Display Area. In my brother's Samsung you would set the attribute P.size to 'Full Scan' ( in the Picture Options -> Screen Size menu if I remember correctly).

Play with the options available on your TV, may be the option is not easy to see. Check your manual or research about it on the Internet.

Second: the 'Nvidia X Server Settings' has an option to correct overscan manually. Check this article.

Tell us how it goes,
    Regards.
    THANKS!!! I had figured out it was an overscan issue but my TV didn't have a way to adjust but the Nvidia-Settings for me did have the option just like the link showed!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Glad it's working. Please mark the thread solved when you have the chance.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wow, I've been battling with overscan for a while with my set up (Philips Aquos as a 2nd monitor with a Nvidia 9600 GT through a DVI to HDMI cable).

This does the job perfectly, Can't believe I never noticed that slider before.
    I'll stop asking questions soon... I just need to sort this.... oh... hang on.