Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

Beans

Re: Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

hi 习惯了远离

in my experience if you're having trouble with file formats (eg ppt or .doc) there is always a solution and those particular formats should work in Open Office (or Office Libre) without any extra work.

It is interesting that people use Macs with Windows7 i've never seen that before. that would really make Steve Jobs turn in his grave. the issue with cost and market share is similar elsewhere (though maybe a bit less).
    So , I want to know how is China like in a foreigner's point. just curious.
    I love china, I loved living in Beijing, China is very different to most other countries i've been to. the main issues i founds were pollution and some of the personal habits of Beijinger's (i realize that this is cultural and most of these things are on their way out, but still).

If you can't use Tor. proxies should work ok, my main issue was getting the BBC and i found proxies worked fine.
    if you're having trouble with youtube it may be your flash player (rather than the great firewall of china) you should try looking for and using the 'flash aid' plugin for firefox.

unfortunately the sheer quantity of intelligence gathering done by China does make privacy a concern for private internet users particularly if you use Chinese or English language i would strongly suggest that you try Tor again or use proxies, and find a way to maintain your privacy on the web.
    Last edited by F.G.; October 29th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Beans

Interesting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post

I know, this is an old thread, but still...

I have long said that Dell can't be trusted. I am wondering if there will soon be headlines about Dell dropping Ubuntu products in China in order to promote Windows instead. Sort of like this:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-in-the-us.ars

Dell...meh.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    I know, this is an old thread, but still...

I have long said that Dell can't be trusted. I am wondering if there will soon be headlines about Dell dropping Ubuntu products in China in order to promote Windows instead. Sort of like this:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-in-the-us.ars

Dell...meh.
    COMPANY STOPS SELLING UNPOPULAR PRODUCTS SHOCK

Full story on page 2.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, good news I guess. However, Goodwill stores of America will sell all computers without Windows that they get donated. They check if the computer is bootable, then they freshly install Ubuntu, if it works (they run through the newest version first.) As for Savers stores (another donation-based second-hand store)... they keep whatever operating system is installed, no matter if they can login or not. They DO however boot it once and check the BIOS, and the OS version at least.

But, doesn't Dell still ship / sell Ubuntu computers in America?

Nope, they don't, at all. ubuntu's website hasn't been updated to reflect that though: http://www.ubuntu.com/dell#usa

Clicking the link under USA shows a dell page with no products.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123