Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 194

Thread: Remastersys is back in active development

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    1,297
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    With the size of apps these days it is difficult to keep a live cd under 700MB. I may also need to look at the compression level of mksquashfs. The problem with increasing the compression level is that it can take a long time to decompress on older computers.
    Once, with remastersys, as a challenge to myself, I achieved 530MB, but it was quite difficult, and the system was barely usable.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    My current OS of choice is a highly customised Ubuntu 11.04 with the following:

    lxdm
    lxde - desktop
    nautilus for file management and desktop icons/background
    libreoffice calc,math and writer
    bombono
    gnomebaker
    vlc
    firefox
    claws mail
    gftp
    transmission
    xchat
    synaptic
    leafpad
    gimp
    shotwell

    size is 725MB

    I would hardly call that an unusable system - lol.

    I could get it under 700MB but then I don't have all the apps I want.

    A lot can be achieved when you remove the packages that Ubuntu has by default but aren't needed for most things. Lots of the X.org fonts for other languages are huge. localepurge also helps to reduce the size.

    I don't bother with dvd's or cd's these days. I just put it on a usb key with startup disk creator.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    I also have a very small media center distro I created that is only 300MB with a customised media center app I made using gambas.

    Anything is possible if you are willing to take the time to remove everything that isn't needed and you know what you are doing.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,873
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    <snip>

    size is 725MB

    I would hardly call that an unusable system - lol.

    I could get it under 700MB but then I don't have all the apps I want.

    A lot can be achieved when you remove the packages that Ubuntu has by default but aren't needed for most things. Lots of the X.org fonts for other languages are huge. localepurge also helps to reduce the size.

    I don't bother with dvd's or cd's these days. I just put it on a usb key with startup disk creator.
    It's great to see Remastersys is again active. Giving creative individuals a means to distribute their work is is excellent. I don't know how common my problem is but I have a fairly up-to-date system(2 yrs. old) that won't boot from a USB key unless that key has been formatted with Win7. A newly purchased key created with Unetbootin or "Create system disk" won't boot, I just get "boot error". Any computer built in the last 10 years and has an optical drive should boot from a DVD so file size doesn't seem so critical as the ability to use optical media.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    The standard iso that remastersys makes can be used by startup disk creator and burned to cd/dvd depending on size.

    I'm waiting to hear back from the guy that created the remastersys-gtk gui frontend which is much nicer than my zenity/kdialog bash one. I've asked him if he wants to join me and have his gui included in remastersys as a lot of the new additions will be gui related.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    Cool!
    I've fixed many problems in the /etc/group file, and added a feature for adding extra users in the install.
    You might want to add some extra customization, as you can know when someone used remastersys .
    Care to share the issue and fix for /etc/group?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    lkjoel - I just checked your latest package and you are doing nothing different than you copied from remastersys for /etc/group. In fact, all the important parts that actually do the work in relinux are copied from remastersys. Are these just more claims to try and make relinux look better?

    I'm kind of curious why you place the hidden file
    "touch $WORKDIR/.filesystem.squashfs.GENERATED.BY.RELINUX.PROOF"
    and check for it. What does it matter who made the filesystem.squashfs? There have been times where folks have manually built it and need to use it.

    Anyway, best of luck with relinux.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    23

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    hi there.

    glade to see remastersys back to live
    i used remastersys many times, it worked great with ubuntu 11.10 with gnome-shell 3.2 and unity,the bad thing is that problem with a kernel that don't Contain "aufs",there will be a problem when booting the system and it will not work, same thing with relinux,i only hope that remastersys don't Depend on aufs,so we can add the kernel we want
    if you want to test it try to install this kernel:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.1-oneiric/
    and remove the old kernel,then create the iso file using remastersys and you will see the problemwhen booting.

    thanks.
    Last edited by hannysabbagh; October 31st, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    1,297
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    lkjoel - I just checked your latest package and you are doing nothing different than you copied from remastersys for /etc/group. In fact, all the important parts that actually do the work in relinux are copied from remastersys. Are these just more claims to try and make relinux look better?

    I'm kind of curious why you place the hidden file
    "touch $WORKDIR/.filesystem.squashfs.GENERATED.BY.RELINUX.PROOF"
    and check for it. What does it matter who made the filesystem.squashfs? There have been times where folks have manually built it and need to use it.

    Anyway, best of luck with relinux.
    No, it's in the latest SVN release. It has an incredible number of changes and improvements (just check the configuration file, you'll see what I mean).
    Thanks for the idea, I'll add a "manual" option.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississauga,ON Canada
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Remastersys is back in active development

    Quote Originally Posted by hannysabbagh View Post
    hi there.

    glade to see remastersys back to live
    i used remastersys many times, it worked great with ubuntu 11.10 with gnome-shell 3.2 and unity,the bad thing is that problem with a kernel that don't Contain "aufs",there will be a problem when booting the system and it will not work, same thing with relinux,i only hope that remastersys don't Depend on aufs,so we can add the kernel we want
    if you want to test it try to install this kernel:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.1-oneiric/
    and remove the old kernel,then create the iso file using remastersys and you will see the problemwhen booting.

    thanks.
    aufs is used for mounting the live filesystem. If they are doing something different with the live I'll need to know about it.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •