Thread: Question about reinstall

Beans

Question about reinstall

I am trying to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 onto my laptop.

Question: Do I need to worry about the / partition when I install
    i.e. should I backup / to my external hard drive -or- will the reinstall just renew the contents of / ?

During this reinstallation I am moving the / partition to a location that will allow me to expand its size. I am doing this via ubuntu literature very carefully. is there anything I should be aware of before I attempt this?

Any comments appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Question about reinstall

Hi

As with any operations on partitions you should backup all of your data before starting. Not quite sure what you are attempting with moving the partition - sounds like it will overwrite everything......

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm afraid that you are going to lose everything during the installation. Re installing means that a new system is installed and it has to be formatted the directory /. Only the /home directory can be excluded.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi

. Not quite sure what you are attempting with moving the partition - sounds like it will overwrite everything......
    I am moving my / partition to a space where I am able to expand its size. My /home partition has 50 gb to spare and I want to move / to the empty space and expand its size.

I have backed up everything on /home and need to know whether I should backup / before I reinstall (if I need to)?

I have backed up everything on /home and need to know whether I should backup / before I reinstall (if I need to)?
    Back up everything to a separate hard drive - one that is not connected to the computer.

Another option is to clone your hard drive with Clonezilla.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

I have been told that 10 gb is sufficient space for the /. However, my / is filled to max capasity. Does anyone know possibilities that could have caused this?