Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux on ultrabook or think netbook

Beans

Thumbs down Ubuntu Linux on ultrabook or think netbook

Hi, i'm looking at a Macbook Air -like PC with Ubuntu, I've seen Acer Aspire S3, Samsung 9 Series, ASUS UX21 Zenbook, but is there something like that sold with Linux?

Gnome3/Ubuntu are pushing much touch friendly UIs, but I'm still not able to see an High Quality devices (Tablet ARM?) which could take advantage of it.
    Hardware: Intel E8400, Asus P5Q, Radeon 4850
    Blog: http://grigio.org / Record Ubuntu Screencast in HD!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Linux on ultrabook or think netbook

Quote Originally Posted by grigio View Post
    Hi, i'm looking at a Macbook Air -like PC with Ubuntu, I've seen Acer Aspire S3, Samsung 9 Series, ASUS UX21 Zenbook, but is there something like that sold with Linux?
    No. Install it yourself. I like the look of the Asus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows refund

It is hard to find netbooks with Linux pre-installed. However, you should be able to get a Windows refund, if you are careful to dot your i's and cross your t's in documenting your installation. Be prepare for some resistance, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

According to this, the Zenbook looks to be not worth it. Shame, it's a really cool laptop

Beans

I had a chance to discuss suspend/problem with ASUS engineer and they might have a BIOS solution for Zenbook. It may worth trying to test their latest BIOS (if they release any).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grigio View Post
    Gnome3/Ubuntu are pushing much touch friendly UIs
    They are not touch friendly at the moment. Unity/Gnome-shell as they stand, would not work on a tablet. If anything, they cater more to those that like to use keyboard shortcuts. Why people think unity/gnome-shell are touch UI's is beyond me. I have yet to see any tablet with such interfaces. It just wouldn't work.

Beans

Hi guys,

I'd really like to see some replies here. I can't find enough information about the ideal thin/ultra book for Linux.

At the moment the Acer Aspire S line interests me most.

Is everybody using big ugly bulky laptops for their Ubuntu setup?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by horadee View Post
    Hi guys,

I'd really like to see some replies here. I can't find enough information about the ideal thin/ultra book for Linux.

At the moment the Acer Aspire S line interests me most.

I'm using an Acer 1410.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by horadee
    I think it's more likely that there simply aren't a lot of brand-new systems represented here. I know there are successful installs on Samsung Series 9 machines out there, and there are a lot of very thin netbooks and smartbooks running Ubuntu, like Asus x101s. There's just a lag on the newest systems being fully supported and a lag as users actually move up to new machines.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69
    They are not touch friendly at the moment. Unity/Gnome-shell as they stand, would not work on a tablet. If anything, they cater more to those that like to use keyboard shortcuts. Why people think unity/gnome-shell are touch UI's is beyond me. I have yet to see any tablet with such interfaces. It just wouldn't work.
    Tablet interfaces don't generally look like Gnome Shell or Unity, no. I wouldn't conflate them, however. Gnome Shell makes some serious concessions to touch interfaces and would be usable on a tablet - the only thing that isn't really ready is the (last I knew) bonkers onscreen keyboard. Unity isn't designed for touch at all, because of its dependence on hover states and small click targets. There is a difference.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; January 16th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wolfen69 writes: //Why people think unity/gnome-shell are touch UI's is beyond me.//

Because it has replaced the drop down menu with touch screen style menus (oversized icons obviously intended for fingers rather than the mouse). They are also progressively replacing the old check boxes with IOS style on/off slides. The direction in which they're going is obvious to me.

Bezel writes: //Unity isn't designed for touch at all...//

Sure it is, and for all the reasons stated above: the launcher, oversized icons, lack of drop down menus. Setting aside whether it works, Unity is clearly intended for touch. From Shuttleworth himself:

"By 14.04 LTS Ubuntu will power tablets, phones, TVs and smart screens from the car to the office kitchen, and it will connect those devices cleanly and seamlessly to the desktop, the server and the cloud. Unity, the desktop interface in today’s Ubuntu 11.10, was designed with this specific vision in mind."

Unity is clearly being designed for touch UI. If you disagree, you're going to have to take it up with Shuttleworth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast