Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

I rather do like lubuntu and hope it will continue.
    Same here.

FYI, interestingly, it looks like Gnome 2 distros can get far longer lifecycles. (At least Cent OS followed by Debian)

I thought Gnome 2x was dead! Unless RedHat and Debian go to Mate.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; April 16th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Acer Aspire M5630: 1 GB Kingston PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM dual channel (2x512 MB), Core 2 Duo E2180 (2.0 Ghz), Intel i915

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    Same here.

FYI, interestingly, it looks like Gnome 2 distros can get far longer lifecycles. (At least Cent OS followed by Debian)

I thought Gnome 2x was dead! Unless RedHat and Debian go to Mate.
    So far, Debian seems pretty well on the way to Gnome3 and GS on Wheezy.

Mate is in the repo for Wheezy, though, and Sid.

Should think it will end up in a repo for Ubuntu eventually.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

MATE is pretty much mature now and should be available for just about any operating system. My understanding of Debian is that it aims for a Stable release every two years. Last released Feb. 2011 which means sometime around Feb 2013 for the next Stable. Wheezy goes into Freeze this June in preparation for Stable status. Each Stable release gets 3 years of support so the current Stable--Squeeze--has a bit less than two more years support.
    KBD47

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    FUD alert!

That statement alone disqualifies everything else said because the non-LTS releases are supported for 18 months, NOT 3 years!
    I think Phill was talking about the previous LTS not the new one. The previous was 3 years while the new one is 5 years. I'm sure he is very much aware it's 18 months unless he's so busy with his course and he forgot that which I still doubt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I think Phill was talking about the previous LTS not the new one. The previous was 3 years while the new one is 5 years. I'm sure he is very much aware it's 18 months unless he's so busy with his course and he forgot that which I still doubt
    But it says explicitly:

The majority of desktop users can't wait to get their hands on the 6 monthly releases, which are in any case supported for kernel updates etc. for 3 years.
    The standard non-LTS releases are supported for only 18 months regardless of DE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FUD alert!

That statement alone disqualifies everything else said because the non-LTS releases are supported for 18 months, NOT 3 years!
    Soz, kansaas, my bad! Brain is little haggered. I'll ask Ali to correct it. It should have read 3 releases!

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Soz, kansaas, my bad! Brain is little haggered. I'll ask Ali to correct it. It should have read 3 releases!

Regards,

Phill.
    Dude, no apology needed. We are and always have been cool

I sometimes type things that are inaccurate - until several days ago I thought Xubuntu 12.04 was a 5 year LTS but it's only a 3 year LTS.

That said I've often wondered how secure Ubuntu itself is if one chooses to use any alternate DE available in the repos

Just for instance either 'gnome' or 'gnome-desktop-environment' are available in the repos, as are 'lxde' and 'xfce4' - and you can of course always cook your own DE:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

So, if we have 'ubuntu-minimal' installed how long is any DE available from the repos (NOT a PPA) supported security-wise

I once brought that up shortly after Ubuntu introduced 'notify-osd' and got shouted down by someone from QA

So, back to Lubuntu only; if someone (like a Pentium M user) wants an LTS, and manages to install Ubuntu 12.04, could they then install 'lubuntu-desktop' and feel SECURE!

We know they'd not get new packages that provide new and improved features, but how about security?

What about the meta-package 'lxde'? It's there, what if someone finds the Ubuntu DE to be just a bit too "heavy" for their hardware? If they install any DE from the repos can they depend on it being secure?

I'm honestly clueless.

Beans
    Distro

But it says explicitly:

The majority of desktop users can't wait to get their hands on the 6 monthly releases, which are in any case supported for kernel updates etc. for 3 years.
    The standard non-LTS releases are supported for only 18 months regardless of DE
    My apology too, I didn't pay much attention
    Sometimes, your eyes can fool you and read something while there is something else in your mind. It always happens to me

I corrected it

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu 12.04 will NOT be an LTS version - Officially on Lubuntu Wiki :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Welc...esktop_project

Please note that 12.04 will not be an LTS (5 year support), but a 'standard' release, supported for 18 months. This is simply due the fact there is insufficient 'man-power' to commit to 5 years of support.
    For the last 6 months, I've seen this Q almost everyday and was discussing that almost every day too. It might be too late to add that but never too late.

Usually, an information like that (Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS release) will be mentioned on the release notes (which usually few only read that actually - sad but true) but we thought it's also important to include that on the Wiki.

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 will NOT be an LTS version - Officially on Lubuntu Wiki :)

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Welc...esktop_project

For the last 6 months, I've seen this Q almost everyday and was discussing that almost every day too. It might be too late to add that but never too late.

Usually, an information like that (Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS release) will be mentioned on the release notes (which usually few only read that actually - sad but true) but we thought it's also important to include that on the Wiki.
    I'd seen that and it's what I based things on here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1959675

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast