Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 12.04

I'm one of those who believe in long term releases. With Ubuntu you get a Testing rather than Sid Debian base which adds to the stability. Most people are not like people on the Linux message boards, most people do not want to change their OS every 6 months to a year. I think the 5 years lts for Ubuntu is the smartest thing they've done in a long time, heck I've still got XP on two computers and it is over a decade? old. I like playing with distros on CDs, virtualbox, and usb sticks, but I don't like messing with systems on my computers that I depend upon, that's why I use LMDE set to Debian Stable on my two main computers, and will be moving my old computer to either Mint 13 or Xubuntu 12.04 to get 3-5 years without having to mess with it. I get so many programs and files I need on my computer, and changing over to a new system is a lot of work. My suggestion for those wanting LXDE for 5 years is to install it onto Mint 13 or Ubuntu 12.04.
    KBD47

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Here is a post made by one of the most active members of Lubuntu Team on the official Lubuntu Group on facebook:

the 'security' and kernel updates side of Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc. etc. are taken care of by the 'main' team. In this case for 5 years. The main attraction for LTS's if for those running Servers who do not want to an End Of Life (EOL) every three years. The majority of desktop users can't wait to get their hands on the 6 monthly releases, which are in any case supported for kernel updates etc. for 18 months. One of the things that keeps people on their toes with Lubuntu is that we constantly search for low resource applications. Just because the browser is Chromium for 12.04, that does not guarantee its place in 12.10, for example There were some mutterings when X-Chat was dropped as a default, but for those who are used to X-Chat, they just go and grab it! The goal of Lubuntu is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) I run a full LAMP server on my Lubuntu installation. Because Lubuntu is so lean it means I have more free resources to do other things. I hope that clears up any worries you may have about being left un-loved & un-supported.
    Same Q about LTS over and over again. This MUST be on the Wiki because, if I'm not mistaken, I've been asked this Q more than 20 times so far
    Last edited by amjjawad; April 17th, 2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: correction ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Here is a post made by one of the most active members of Lubuntu Team on the official Lubuntu Group on facebook:

Same Q about LTS over and over again. This MUST be on the Wiki because, if I'm not mistaken, I've been asked this Q more than 20 times so far
    FUD alert!

The majority of desktop users can't wait to get their hands on the 6 monthly releases, which are in any case supported for kernel updates etc. for 3 years.
    That statement alone disqualifies everything else said because the non-LTS releases are supported for 18 months, NOT 3 years!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    Debian is 3 years.
    But just saying that is not enough!

If I install the current Debian w/LXDE will it be supported for three years? If I have the updates set properly, then yes ........... and far beyond!

I have a stable Debian release installed and it will switch from Squeeze to Wheezy when the devs believe it's stable enough

And the DE packages available in the repos will likely be older (certainly not newer) than those we'd find in the Ubuntu repos!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post

I don't fault Lubuntu for not being lts, if they don't have the manpower to support it then it can't be helped. But even on the message boards you find a number of people who prefer lts releases for one reason or another. Many people are like my wife and just wanting a working computer that doesn't need to be updated every year or so
    KBD47

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad
    So, my next poll will be: How many will stick with the same system for 5 years?
    Thanks for the question.

Five years ago, Borders was a book store.

<snip>

Five years ago, the world wide housing market was in a bubble rising vigorously, about to crash, unknown to one and all.

A lot can happen in five years. Five years ago, who was thinking about booting from USB 3.0? Even two years ago, who could afford a 32 GB USB flash drive (aka thumb drive)?

Today, the costs have dropped, so that a 64 GB flash drive costs less than a 500 GB SATA drive.

As you have properly noted, the incentive to create operating systems capable of supporting miserable hardware, is decreasing.

Those of us who are unable to afford to purchase new gear, ought, nevertheless, be able to buy an inexpensive PCI card for $20 to upgrade to USB 3.0, and buy a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drive, for less than $12, able to install LXDE, without regard to our internal hard drive. Once up and running, the 0.5 GB memory on our old, obsolete hardware, should suffice to access the internet, skipping the useless, vintage "Swap" step during install.

There can still be a useful role for LXDE to play, but, it ought, in my opinion, focus now on USB 3.0, with concomitant "cloud computing", i.e. with storage on the internet, rather than our old, obsolete hard drives, which in any event, have very limited capacity--mine typically are 40 GB.

In my view, the task ahead, for LXDE, as a niche OS, is to recognize that the future for it, rests with wider adoption of USB 3.0, rather than traditional PATA or SATA disks.

cheers,

CAI ENG
    Last edited by Iowan; April 17th, 2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: 5 year ago, politics was against CoC - still is...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It's Debian which is a rolling release:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling...Debian-related

Whereas Ubuntu follows a "fixed" release pattern.

We're based on Debian but we also provide a lot of development support to Debian. You'll often see the same developers names pop up at Launchpad and at Debian's BTS.
    Actually Squeeze is Debian stable and thus NOT a rolling release.

Debian testing and Sid are both rolling releases.

Debian Squeeze was testing when 10.04 was 10.04-testing and is therefore what 10.04 is based on. It will be
    supported for one year after Wheezy (current testing and the base for 12.04). Wheezy will probably not
    meet stability standards set by Debian for release for at least another year so I would say it is safe to count
    on another 2 years of support for Squeeze.

I use Debian Xfce testing as my production OS and am amazed at the stability of it. Also have Squeeze Gnome on here that I use for my secure business uses.

As it is not a rolling release security is easier to maintain.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But just saying that is not enough!

If I install the current Debian w/LXDE will it be supported for three years? If I have the updates set properly, then yes ........... and far beyond!

I have a stable Debian release installed and it will switch from Squeeze to Wheezy when the devs believe it's stable enough

And the DE packages available in the repos will likely be older (certainly not newer) than those we'd find in the Ubuntu repos!
    Debian is not 3 years. Debian does not have a set date for release of any of their stable versions and never has.

They have set rules for stability. This means that all packages have to have no "grave" or "critical" bugs and the core packages have no bugs. This is the reason that Squeeze, expected to have been released in Nov. of 2010 (after being delayed once before that) was not released until February of 2011.

Debian being Gnome based by default means that Wheezy, currently testing, will not be released for a good while. Gnome3 and Gnome Shell are in no way close to meeting Debian stable standards. My Debian testing Xfce installs could just about meet those standards now.

The same is true of my Lxde install.

The only Gnome3 install I have is Sid and about a month ahead of testing but it is still rough (by Debian standards anyway). Works OK but GS screws a lot of extensions on just about every upgrade it seems.

Still think Wheezy will make it in about a year.

That means that assuming it is the end of 2013 that it is released as stable that Squeeze will be supported till the end of 2014. From the start of 2011 to the end of 2014 is about 4 years of support. And that is assuming that the Gnome Project gets Gnome3 up to snuff in the next 12 months. Kind of iffy but I am hopeful.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by caieng View Post
    There can still be a useful role for LXDE to play, but, it ought, in my opinion, focus now on USB 3.0, with concomitant "cloud computing", i.e. with storage on the internet, rather than our old, obsolete hard drives, which in any event, have very limited capacity--mine typically are 40 GB.

In my view, the task ahead, for LXDE, as a niche OS, is to recognize that the future for it, rests with wider adoption of USB 3.0, rather than traditional PATA or SATA disks.
    Honestly, I have to disagree. I see no future in cloud computing except as a way for corporations to keep workers and customers trapped. Imagine, if you will, being told that changing ISP will cost you all your internet history, data, app subscriptions, and all that? Its not that unreasonable, and most businesses are probably waiting for their governments to become too small to stop them.

IMO, LXDE and Ubuntu as a whole need to reject the trap that is cloud computing, and stick to traditional storage devices. After all, your data is your data when its on a hard drive, but in the cloud things are a lot more nebulous. What's to stop a cloud provider from dropping a clause into a TOS that says, "Its your data until we can make a profit off it, then it becomes OUR data, and we might not even give you a cut"?
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Lubuntu 12.04

Actually I'm always running ubuntu unstable development releases from when they will barely run up to when the next unstable development release will boot. So LTS doesn't mean much for me, except LTS releases are usually clean-ups and not much new function.

I do keep relatively stable release partitions around for recovery work - often! - lately lynx or meerkat or ocelot. Not any use for narwhal lately.

Of the hord of ubuntu's around I run unity-2D and lubuntu, occasionally trying the others.

I have run tiny core, puppy, debian (live, installed), slitaz, slax, suzy, fedora, bodhi, Knoppix, mint, and I forget what all else. Tiny core is really neat since it will run from a folder on a ubuntu, no separate partition required, however installing applications is a bear for me example flash on midora.

I rather do like lubuntu and hope it will continue.

Hands down I prefer the ubuntu forums.

Jerry

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast