Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Arrow Lubuntu 12.04

• First thing first:

1. Please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 is NOT going to be a Long Term Support (LTS) Release.
    2. From: Julien Lavergne Head of Lubuntu Developers explaining "why" Lubuntu 12.04 will NOT be LTS Release:

LTS :
      Again, it's not a choice which depends on the users, but a decision made by the developers. Of course I would like to be LTS, like I would like to buy an expensive car. The fact is, we can't. And even if we try, it could be so expensive that it will block us to do new cool stuff, because we have to maintain 12.04.
    3. You can now follow the progress of Lubuntu development on status.ubuntu.com.
    4. Usually, Developers do NOT look at Forums, however they do check Launchpad daily. So please, if you have a problem/bug OR you want to see something new OR you want to change a current settings, etc ... and you want the Developers to look at it, PLEASE USE LAUNCHPAD.

• Introduction:

1. Lubuntu 12.04 is the next release which is expected to arrive on April 26th, 2012. It's currently under development and this thread was created to discuss the future of this release.
    2. Please start your own thread here in case you have a question or problem regarding Lubuntu 12.04. Please, stick to this thread topics.

• Discussion Topics:

1. What do you expect from Lubuntu 12.04?
    2. What applications you want to see in Lubuntu 12.04?
    3. What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?
    4. What things you DO NOT want to see or have on Lubuntu 12.04?
    5. Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do

• Blueprints:

From Lubuntu Developers:

Could you please add the 2 blueprints to the thread, so people will have of the information to participate ?
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...-optimizations

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...ers-experience

• Lubuntu 12.04 Updates:

This section will be updated as soon as there is some new updates regarding Lubuntu 12.04 development and news.

• Contact Lubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ContactUs
    Last edited by amjjawad; February 2nd, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Adding important notes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Lubuntu 12.04

1. It works and is 'slim'. Pretty much what xubuntu used to be, the lightweight, easy and fast ubuntu OS (I'm not saying xubuntu isn't fast, just that lubuntu has taken its place as fastest ubuntu version IMHO).

Basically I plan on using it for older computers, and what mostly matters is browser+internet works. For people with older laptops that are about to throw out (usually due to very slow hdd), put liveusb on $10 usb stick, and they have fast+secure OS +web browser. Which is what they use computer for 95% of time.

2. Hmm, not sure on apps. I mostly use it for web browser. Make sure everything that involves web browsing works (wireless, flash, java?).

3. Not sure ATM. Keep it simple, don't add crap or lots of startup services.
    Is screensaver enabled by default? Disable it by default. I think it runs after like 5(10?) minutes? One of the first thing I do with any OS, and just tell monitor/screen to shut off after 10-15 minutes to save power. Screensavers are so 1990s.

4. Make sure to keep the livecd/liveusb startup options #1 as "try lubuntu". DO NOT CHANGE TO UBUNTU DEFAULT THAT LOADS "OS" AND THEN ASKS WHETHER TO TRY OR INSTALL, then loads OS again. This makes it real easy to put on liveusb and plug into laptop and have users use it and have it load OS without having to select try or install. I have it set to open web browser, so all user has to do is turn on computer and in 2 minutes their web browser and internet is up and running without having to do anything (from liveusb).

5. One reason why I havn't installed lubuntu on my 10.10 nettop is because I'm not sure how easy it supports file sharing over network. I have it networked with my main desktop to move/share files between computers. Also acted as a print server, but that is not currently working. Not sure how well it will work with printer (but I'm sure it will). Since 10.10 uses firefox 3.6, it was just easier to install chrome 14 from repository than the hassle of reinstalling OS and making sure networking file sharing and printer worked.
    Last edited by andrewabc; October 27th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most important thing: dont make it any bigger than it already is. Its designed for older machines and if it gets any bigger it wont work.

Also, what happened to the LXDE forums and the Lubuntu main page???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post

Hi,

First of all, please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 will not be Long Term Support (LTS) release. Ubuntu 12.04 will be LTS though.

Long story short:

3. What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?

Thank you!
    • A nice, stable LXDE desktop experience. Obviously, that's underway
    • The current default applications are quite good. But, I'd really like seeing a custom Chromium theme to integrate nicer with the rest of the LXDE desktop. It does not look native in 11.10.
    • Desktop polish. The current desktop design and theme looks too depressing and plain. LXDE can be made to look quite great, so I'd really focus on redoing the artwork and giving Lubuntu a more unique and modern feel. Just because it's a lightweight DE doesn't mean it cannot look and feel great
    • Nothing I can think of. Just keep it minimal like it currently is.
    • Overall, LXDE is a promising desktop. Lubuntu is a pretty good distro overall, but for me it's still not quite ready. It lacks a sort of polish and functionality compared to other DE's. There are also some UI issues, such as LXDE not automatically expanding the icon size to fit the panel height. That's more upstream, but it does do damage to Lubuntu overall.

Keep up the work. Lubuntu's a great distro and I hope it keeps progressing.

Beans

@amjjawad - really appreciate the energy you're giving to community building for Lubuntu: so valuable, so worthwhile!

#1 + #4 = Expect Lubuntu to remain FIRMLY committed to small, light; so do NOT want to see BLOAT or FEATURE CREEP.

#3 - A slightly more thoughtful (?) font selection. Would love to see some excellent Unicode fonts (e.g. Gentium Plus would be wonderful, also could use good Hebrew font, e.g. Ezra SIL).

Thank you!
    No, thank you!
    Last edited by dajare; October 27th, 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: fix link

Beans

Not sure I understand you regarding lts. Will Lubuntu have just 3 years lts or no lts at all?
    Lubuntu is great. I would say just keep it simple. The icons could use a makeover, and perhaps a few more LXDE/Lubuntu theme wallpapers.
    I like that even though it is a lightweight desktop, I can still add whatever software I like from Synaptic Package Manager, such as LibreOffice.
    I do notice that from live usb--and it is this way with all the buntus from usb--Firefox will not launch from anywhere except terminal. I can install Chromium and it works fine from usb, but Firefox comes pre-installed but won't launch.
    Lubuntu, Unlike Ubuntu or Kubuntu, will load nicely from live usb. It takes up to 8 minutes to get Ubuntu or Kubuntu to load from live usb. Please don't mess up Lubuntu regarding the loader.
    My best wishes for Lubuntu.
    KBD47
    PS--call me old fashioned but I like the screensavers
    Last edited by KBD47; October 28th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Background. I start to dislike Gnome3 and Unity, after using it since Ubuntu Natty-beta then Oneiric-alpha onwards. Recently I ventured into Xubuntu and Lubuntu, I like the "efficiency and speed". fyi: I have various graphics hardware running nvidia-current, fglrx and radeon

I briefly tried Debian, Sabayon, ArchBang and CrunchBang; they have Openbox/LXDE on LiveCD. I say "briefly" because it was difficult to proceed after installation, difficult to find the extra applications, find pkg-names, find repos that I wanted: to find broadcom or video drivers and so on. I came back to Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu because of sheer convenience.

May I suggest some features I found in Archbang and Crunchbang LiveCD (Openbox): viz. the key-bindings and menus on the desktop: super+w started the browser, super+f started the file manager and so on. I have not found sufficient documentation or been confused by the little I found, as to what to modify, which file to modify; to set-up these key-binding and menus.

I am using Xubuntu right now, which has some GUI config tools allowing for customisation of panel, menus; meantime still searching for how to customise Openbox, LXDE and Lubuntu. I don't mind non-GUI setup like editing rc files; but my confusion and lack of documentation discouraged me. If anyone can point out some "easy to read" documentation I will experiment further on Lubuntu. I have searched ArchWiki and LXDE.org but still have not understood enough or missed something.

Hope my comments make sense. I do think LXDE is nice and light. Thanks, rabbits
    Last edited by rabbits; October 28th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: Lubuntu 12.04

1. Having used both Firefox and Chromium, for me, Firefox hands down. Bookmarks are a mess on Chromium. I've got several pages worth, and "bookmark tabs" are useless. Now there have been Firefox versions like Swiftfox and Minefield that are a bit faster and less disk space. For compatibility of bookmarks with my faster pc, it's a real pain on Chromium to copy in Firefox's default bookmarks file, let alone export Chromium's to Firefox.

2. Flash video is essential.

3. Low overhead. Put Compiz back on the shelf. Compiz and Ubiquity must win the prize on most Launchpad bugs, and Compiz uses up tons of pc cycles even when I'm in full screen application mode. I use Unity-2D to get rid of Compiz on Ocelot and Pangolin.

4. Network browse & file transfer. I do transfer files and pictures over the home network to my wife's XP's. She supports a couple websites. One of the tools she uses is Dreamweaver, a $$ product not available on linux.

5. Libre Office write. I'm used to copying combined text, graphics, pictures from the internet on health, politics, etc. and have had poor luck with Abiword.

Now I don't need all those extra Libre Office applications like Impress etc. I do use Libre Office calc but I can do that on my tower.

6. Fast boot & shutdown. I don't leave pc's running when I'm not using them. I may log on 3 or 4 times a day, booting each time, and of course restart to check latest update functioning.

7. Synaptic and gparted I can load when I need them.

8. LTS doesn't mean much because I'm usually trying out the next development release (bruises all over). Right now Lynx LTS serves the purpose.

Good luck, I like choices.

Jerry

p.s. I occasionally use Tiny Core. Small, fast, runs in memory, Installs in a folder on an Ubuntu example /tinycore. But...doesn't do wireless. That's a killer.

Beans
    Distro

Even though libreoffice not installed by default, make sure it works in lubuntu when it gets installed (maybe it does, I never tried).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi,

First of all, please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 will not be Long Term Support (LTS) release. Ubuntu 12.04 will be LTS though.

Long story short:

Thank you!
    1. A light, fast and stable linux distribution.
    2. Same applications as usual, but make sure to use the latest versions.
    3. Please include the Lubuntu Software center if it is ready.
    4. There is nothing in particular that I don't want to see in Lubuntu 12.04
    5. Good job on Lubuntu! Keep up the good work.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast