Thread: Oneiric upgrade: System printing service not available!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oneiric upgrade: System printing service not available!

I recently upgraded my Toshiba NB305 to Oneiric via the update manager. Since then, I have not had access to my printer (networked HP OfficeJet Pro 7680). When I go to System Settings > Printers, I get the following message:

Sorry! The system printing service doesn't seem to be available.
    As a result, I can't add new printers (physical, cups-pdf).

I'm not very knowledgeable about Linux. I have no idea where to even start fixing this.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by taps; October 27th, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

SOLVED Oneiric upgrade: System printing service not available!

In the end, I just removed every element of cups, together with configuration files, and installed from scratch. Did the job. This shouldn't be happening on upgrade.
    Last edited by taps; October 29th, 2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans

Angry Re: SOLVED Oneiric upgrade: System printing service not available!

Quote Originally Posted by taps View Post
    In the end, I just removed every element of cups, together with configuration files, and installed from scratch. Did the job. This shouldn't be happening on upgrade.
    I am running 64-bit Oneiric, and am having the exact same problem. Neither is my OfficeJet L7780 being detected by the ppd files. Although when I select "Manual" and input the IP address, it is found, then comes up with a yellow banner stating that the printer is not found. So, may I ask EXACTLY how did you uninstall everything? To my knowledge, I've uninstalled everything I could, then reinstalled several times but the problem persists. Thanks!

Beans

Talking Re: Oneiric upgrade: System printing service not available!

YAYYYYYY! I solved my own problem. I uninstalled everything I could through synaptic and reinstalled hplip-3.12.2.run. This got me to the point where I have been all friggin day. So, I did a bit more research and found out the problem was that CUPS was not running or installed. So, I installed CUPS by entering the following in a terminal: sudo apt-get install cups Simple, isn't it? Anyways, now everything works and I got my officejet_pro_l7780 installed and scanning. YAYYY ME!