Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotify does not play local files in Oneiric

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Spotify does not play local files in Oneiric

Quote Originally Posted by thewump View Post
    Rockstar! Thanks

To all the DRM cynics, that's just dumb. There is so much more to this music client than DRM protected music.. even as a playlist manager for multiple devices it rocks.

K
    No but thanks, there are many FOSS music managers and they are just fine and best, they don't mess up my system by trying to remove libraries that supposedly violate DRM (medibuntu stuffs). Of course it has to have some desirable features than just DRM, you need bait to catch fish. How would they get people to swallow DRM if they don't sweeten it up a bit?
    Last edited by beew; November 6th, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hmm, You might be missing the point of the thread here. Spotify hasn't replaced anything. In fact it wants libs that have been upgraded. The desired codec is libavcodec52, and Oneiric is using libavcodec53. As far as I know, Spotify hasn't touched any Medibuntu offering.

And thanks for this fix petronell, it works perfectly. My only concern is for future updates... will these packages need to be locked/pinned?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yugnip View Post
    Hmm, You might be missing the point of the thread here. Spotify hasn't replaced anything. In fact it wants libs that have been upgraded. The desired codec is libavcodec52, and Oneiric is using libavcodec53. As far as I know, Spotify hasn't touched any Medibuntu offering.

And thanks for this fix petronell, it works perfectly. My only concern is for future updates... will these packages need to be locked/pinned?
    Actually if you add medibuntu and install the non free codecs you would have libavcodec-extra52, libavformat-extra52 etc (or 53 depending on your Ubuntu release) instead of libavcodec52, libavformat52 etc. The key here is the "extra" part, without which many multimedia functionalities would be crippled. If you install Spotify, all the packages in the screenshot would be replaced by the crippled ones without the 'extra' tag.

That's why, I said that if you must have this crap install it in WINE, that way at least it won't mess with your system libraries.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beew; November 8th, 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi beew,

if these packages are indeed replaced by corresponding crippled versions by Spotify, how can we revert to the ones used by Medibuntu?

Thank you in advance!
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

Just reinstall those packages and it will remove the non "extra" versions and Spotify. If you reinstall Spotify it will reinstall the non extra packages and remove the extra ones etc. It should be reversible both ways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you very much for the advice, beew, I will do that, because I really did not liked what spotify did there. It makes me angry.

Thanks again.
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ah. Thanks for the clarification beew. The 'extra' codecs are indeed not installed. I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, but that doesn't mean I won't. I am willing to live with however as I do enjoy the service Spotify provides.

Thanks again, and sorry to have doubted you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petronell View Post
    Hi,

This solution has worked for me, and Spotify is working fine again.

Firstly I have prepared two tar files one for 32 bit ubuntu, and one for 64 bit ubuntu. Download the appropriate tar for your installation.

32 Bit Packages

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7z...AxZGM4MTE4YzI1

64 Bit Packages

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7z...g4NmJmZTZiMzgy

Then decompress the tar back to the deb packages by right clicking the tar file and choosing "Extract Here" from the short cut menu.

Now open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where you have de-compressed the tar. In the example below I have assumed this will be Downloads.

cd Downloads

Next we need to install the three deb packages, so the next command at the prompt to type is:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

next command is

sudo apt-get install -f

It should have now installed the packages. Exit terminal. Re-load spotify and it should now play local files.

DDR
    this worked great, thanks.....

Beans

cool...

you rock now that i may rock.

Beans

Works like a charm. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast