Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Beans

Re: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Try creating a bootable USB Stick.
    Visit http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download for info.

Beans

I tried creating the bootable USB stick but again the MacBook Pro doesn't see it as a boot drive (doesn't matter if I hold down "C" or "Alt/Option" at boot - it just never sees the USB drive just like the it doesn't see the CD).

The problem seems to be with the ISO as stated by the original posters although the Ubuntu ISO that Mac OSX cannot mount (and cannot boot) works fine on a WinTel machine.

I guess my MacBook Pro is just not destined to run Ubuntu which is a great shame.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sancra01 View Post

Can you advise whether you have successfully booted your MacBook Pro using the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD? No matter where I burn it (on Windows/Ubuntu/Mac OSX) I cannot boot my MacBook Pro using the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD.

Thanks
    Yes I can definitely boot from the 11.10 Live DVD. After turning on, and holding Alt/Option key I get the following boot options:

MacBook Pro
    Recovery HD
    Windows (CD - this is how apple reads the Ubuntu DVD - essentially non-Mac must be Windows, right?)
    EFI Boot

Choosing "Windows" will give you the usual Ubuntu graphical installer
    EFI Boot will start-off not-so-graphical, but will get there eventually.

Also, if you check the download mirrors and the daily build, there is a specific Mac-64bit .iso that is supposed to "work properly" on Mac systems.

If this does not solve it, there is this post, but I have never tried it, so I cannot vouch for it.
    Last edited by jackdale; October 30th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Beans

Thanks for posting those details.

When hold the Alt/Option key down on boot I only see MacBook Pro. I just can't figure it out.

I used this image ...

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live...-amd64+mac.iso

... and it even boots on a WinTel machine but I can't see it on my MacBook Pro 3,1. I'm starting to think there's something odd about my hardware.

I'm going to try http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and see if that works. Will post my results.

Thanks

PS - Now that I think about it I don't believe Unetbootin will work on my MacBook Pro due to EFI but I'll give it a go when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by sancra01; October 31st, 2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Further information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sancra01 View Post

... and it even boots on a WinTel machine but I can't see it on my MacBook Pro 3,1. I'm starting to think there's something odd about my hardware.
    Maybe...I'm using MacBookPro 5,3

Beans

As I suspected the Unetbootin didn't work.

Might ask the question ...

Has anyone else been able to boot a MacBook Pro 3,1 with the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD?

Or has anyone who has a MacBook Pro 3,1 running Leopard been able to mount the Ubuntu 11.10 iso in OSX?

Beans

FWIW, macbook pro with snow leopard, if I download the iso it won't mount. But if I crank up disk utility and verify the .iso, it fails to verify, but does put the .iso in the left pane. Selected that, and was able to burn a CD with the image, and that CD does mount. I haven't tried to install it and only tried it once, but figured I'd get this out there.

Beans

Thanks for trying it out and posting your results.

I'd be very interested in finding out whether you could boot your MacBook Pro from the Ubuntu CD you burned. Would also be interested in knowing what model of MacBook Pro you have (I'm running 3,1).

I'm starting to think that perhaps there's something wrong with my SuperDrive even though it can boot the OSX installer disk.

But then I've tried to boot Ubuntu from a USB drive and haven't had any luck with the computer seeing that device on boot either. I'm kind of stumped.

Cheers

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my old MacBook Pro 2,1. The amd64 version would not boot, but the 386i version loaded fine

On my new MacBook Pro 8,2 I get the 'no mountable file systems' for both 32- and 64-bit systems. I also tried to install into a 32GB SDHC flash without success either.

rEFIt works so well on the 2,1 that it will launch Lion 10.7.2 on a disk plugged into USB. I had hoped to put all Ubuntu onto the flash so I could just remove it. I didn't want to use part of my 120GB SSD on my 8,2 for Linux.

For now I'll use my 2,1 for Ubuntu and hope somebody figures out this issue.

Beans

Exact same issue here - Mac Book Pro Intel running Lion - I have installed Ubuntu quite a few times in the past with no issues. Something is not right ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast