Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

OK here is an update of the situation for me. I used a PC to make the usb key using the 64bit version of 11.10. this is the software used to make bootable usb: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...-easy-as-1-2-3

Once key was created in windows, i plugged it in my Macbook mid 2010 and it was recognized without any issues. I could boot in live CD mode and I even Installed 11.10 on my Macbook mid 2010.

I then tried to use that same key on my other Macbook Early 2008 (core 2 duo).
    it booted the live cd with no issues. I started install process and it completed succesfully.
    BUT when i restarted my Mac, it never booted up to Ubuntu (all i saw after a while was the flashing question mark). I tried restart and pressing ALT to see if it detects the drive, nothing detected. I tried reinstalling with manual partitioning the drive, still no go.

I tried creating a key using 32bit 11.10 iso but it was not recognized as a boot device by the mac after creation where as the 64 bit iso worked.( I have a strong feeling the iso on site has issues.

I had a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (32 bit) lying around, so decided to install that instead and it worked flawlessly. I will now try and just update from 10.04 to 11.10 and see if it works.

any pointers would help me a lot!!

Beans

Re: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

It sounds like you managed to install the EFI version of Ubuntu. I'm glad to hear that works, since I've got the same computer (the Macbook 7,1) and I was worried the install process might corrupt the firmware.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-re...es/+bug/774089

Have you tried installing the propitiatory NVIDIA drivers? I was just wondering, because last time I tried that in EFI mode the display completely switched off and wouldn't work until I uninstalled the drivers again (using safe boot, apt-get and manually deleting the xorg.conf file).

In any case I'd love to hear whether everything works on that computer.
    Last edited by davidryderuk; December 2nd, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidryderuk View Post
    It sounds like you managed to install the EFI version of Ubuntu. I'm glad to hear that works, since I've got the same computer (the Macbook 7,1) and I was worried the install process might corrupt the firmware.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-re...es/+bug/774089

Have you tried installing the propitiatory NVIDIA drivers? I was just wondering, because last time I tried that in EFI mode the display completely switched off and wouldn't work until I uninstalled the drivers again (using safe boot, apt-get and manually deleting the xorg.conf file).

In any case I'd love to hear whether everything works on that computer.
    everything worked well on Macbook 7.1... have not tried any NVIDIA drivers. kept everything stock.

One thing I would like to add is that for fun, I resetted the PRAM of the MAcbook fter a reboot and since then, Ubuntu will not boot. I believe resetting PRAM messes up the GRUB. Some forums state that all you have to do is press alt/option key on startup and you should see the ubuntu drive... I tried but no drive is found (I never had seen the ubuntu drive when pressing ALT even when it was booting fine). I will probably just reinstall Ubuntu again by formating cause there is no important files on the drive yet.

I might try supergrub2 iso before formatting and see if i can restore grub without reinstalling.

this sucks for someone who might have important stuff and who PRAM resets their Mac. I'll post update when i try out supergrub2.

I'm sure PC users do not have to suffer as much to install Ubuntu
    Last edited by skr imaging; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added text

Beans

Maybe your problem has something to do with using the EFI version of Ubuntu. I have to admit I've never really heard of that problem before and I can only guess what cause is.

Supergrub2 would probably work, but if doesn't you might want to try 'boot repair' (just install it on your live usb).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

In particular the 'Bootinfo Summary' might give you a clue about what went wrong.
    Last edited by davidryderuk; December 3rd, 2011 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidryderuk View Post
    @sancra01

I was wondering whether your firmware is up to date, and whether you can you boot a windows CD?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237
    Yes - my MacBook Pro 3,1 is fully up-to-date for firmware

Cheers

Beans

Hi, I faced the same problem with ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso

This is not a straightforward iso -the real directory structures are embedded within a "Partition inside this .iso file", but managed to create a mountable iso from it. Listed below are the steps:

1. convert the downloaded ubuntu .iso to UDRW image to burn it into a thumb drive.

$ hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    You will get a ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img.dmg file. You can either rename it as a .dmg or as a .img, no problems ...

2. Insert the thumb drive and do a diskutil list. you should get the disk number for your thumb drive. Let's suppose it to be diskN

3. Dump the .img or .dmg file you got above into the thumb drive

dd if=ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m.

4. You should now see a strange unmountable partition diskNs1 (N=drive number for the thumb drive.) if not remove and re inser the thumb drive. This the actual .iso partition that contains the ubuntu installation/live CD stuff. To extract this, simply dump back the partition into a .iso file

dd if=/dev/rdisk1s1 of=./MyUbuntu-11-x86_64.iso bs=1m

Here rdisk1s1 is the partition inside the thumb drive I got after dumping the converted .img/.dmg in step 2.

Now MyUbuntu-11-x86_64.iso is the actual .iso image you get that you *can* open/mount in your mac by just double clicking on it or opening using diskutil.

You can now convert *this* MyUbuntu-11-x86_64.iso into a UDRW .img for a thumb drive or just burn it into a CD. Hope it works ...

Cheers !!

Beans

Hi aaren_s, i've tried your method on my macbook pro 3,1 but i can't boot from my usb pen even if i could mount the image fine.

Beans

I was having this exact problem, which led me here.

I burned the original downloaded ISO to a DVD, but OSX refused to mount it. I re-downloaded the ISO thinking it was bad, but still couldn't mount it, but decided to try burning it again anyway, this time to a CD, and remarkably, it worked.

Go figure.

I'm on a MB Pro 5,5 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Beans

There is a specific DVD file

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/10.10/release/

If you try burning the CD file to a DVD, it won't work (at least on a macbook).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaren_s View Post
    Hi, I faced the same problem with ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso

This is not a straightforward iso -the real directory structures are embedded within a "Partition inside this .iso file", but managed to create a mountable iso from it. Listed below are the steps:

1. convert the downloaded ubuntu .iso to UDRW image to burn it into a thumb drive.

$ hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    You will get a ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img.dmg file. You can either rename it as a .dmg or as a .img, no problems ...

2. Insert the thumb drive and do a diskutil list. you should get the disk number for your thumb drive. Let's suppose it to be diskN

3. Dump the .img or .dmg file you got above into the thumb drive

dd if=ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m.

4. You should now see a strange unmountable partition diskNs1 (N=drive number for the thumb drive.) if not remove and re inser the thumb drive. This the actual .iso partition that contains the ubuntu installation/live CD stuff. To extract this, simply dump back the partition into a .iso file

Here rdisk1s1 is the partition inside the thumb drive I got after dumping the converted .img/.dmg in step 2.

Now MyUbuntu-11-x86_64.iso is the actual .iso image you get that you *can* open/mount in your mac by just double clicking on it or opening using diskutil.

You can now convert *this* MyUbuntu-11-x86_64.iso into a UDRW .img for a thumb drive or just burn it into a CD. Hope it works ...

Cheers !!
    I've just followed this procedure on my Macbook Pro 3,1 to the letter and like calamaro_one I cannot boot from the CD where I have burned the ISO. The actual ISO image that was created after running this ...

... is mountable under Finder which is a step in the right direction for me. When I burn it to CD it burns fine, finder mounts it once and then when I reboot the Macbook Pro and hold down the option key it doesn't see the CD and ejects it after about 20-30 seconds. After the OS has loaded and I insert the CD again the following message appears ...

"Disk Insertion - The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

I've tried burning the image a couple of times but with no success.

Getting closer but I still can't boot from a CD.

Craig

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast