Thread: Appmenu bar will not go away

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Appmenu bar will not go away

I've installed Ubuntu 11.10, and have been using the Gnome Classic environment. I've been searching for weeks for a way to remove the Nautilus appmenu. I've removed all the appmenu packages through Synaptic (appmenu-gtk, appmenu-gtk3, appmenu-qt, appmenu-indicator, firefox-globalmenu). I've logged off and back in, and rebooted numerous times. Every time I log back in, that goddamn bar loads up too and begins mocking me. Attached is a picture of the little doucher sitting at the top of the screen.

Anyone find a way to get rid of it for good? I'll even settle for any solution that even has an effect resembling removing it (like moving it to another screen or whatever gconf equivalent used to work for the gnome-panels)

And no, I can't right click it and remove it. I've seen people post that as a possible solution too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Appmenu bar will not go away

There is a thread...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1868602

that contains, amongst other things that may be of use for Classic, an answer to your quest.(page 3 seems to have the magic)

cheers, Bob.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

IIRC you can get rid of it, if you go to the tweak-tool and unset the "Have file manager handle the desktop" choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks arisp, the setting in gnome-tweak-tool did it.