Thread: Arch is great!

Beans
    Hidden!

Arch is great!

A while ago I decided to switch to arch linux. I was using ubuntu converted to kubuntu and I felt like ubuntu wasn't for me anymore. I wanted a little more control over my system. So I looked for a distro that was easy and simple while not hiding anything as well as having easy software installation. First I thought that I would want to stick with a debian based distro, but I found no debian based distros with official gnome 3 support! (This was before 11.10.) I looked at fedora but I didn't really like it at all. Then I found arch. Everything in arch is always up to date and there are no upgrades because it is a rolling release. Pacman is amazing and I love it so much, in my opinion much more powerful than apt-get. Once you get past the first install it is very easy to maintain and I have been to fix all my problems that I ran into quickly. (when I updated to gnome 3.2.) Their wiki is great and has everything you will ever need to install in it. If you feel like ubuntu isn't for you and you have some linux skill, than arch is worth a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Arch is great!

How did you install it? I've never found a simple, straightforward way to install arch on a usb drive. This is key because most of my systems have no optical drive.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Arch is great!

Download the ISO and unetbootin or dd onto USB. Arch is a sweet little number

Beans

There are several ways you can get the image to a thumb drive. Detailed instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...SB_flash_drive
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Once you get arch to boot the live environment use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide to install it. It is easier than it looks by far, all of it is straight forward.
    Last edited by Purplerob; October 26th, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake