Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New idea for Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

New idea for Xubuntu 12.04

Canonical and the developers need to rapidly alter the theme for the next Xubuntu release. Since XFCE is so similar to GNOME 2.x, I would recommend basing Xubuntu 12.04 off the "classic" Ubuntu we see in 11.04 while in "Ubuntu Classic" and releases earlier.

As we all know, many people do not want to change to Unity, and find it very buggy. XFCE on Xubuntu offers the stability and feel of GNOME 2.x and the "classic" Ubuntu, which most people who know Ubuntu know best. Also, Xubuntu is currently, well... crappy! There are only basic utilities and themes, and there is pretty much no support by the community whatsoever. Xubuntu 12.04 needs to be the rebirth of the Xubuntu OS, bringing the classic features and looks we all know and love, while bringing the quality of Ubuntu to another playground.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New idea for Xubuntu 12.04

do you know about Xfce4-goodies? That might add some stuff. Xfce is intended to be lightweight, not loaded down with gadgets. Perhaps the -goodies package would add some gadgetry back. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Unity to go away, I think I'd turn very blue indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

But Xubuntu is being quickly outdated by Lubuntu. It is almost pointless to use Xubuntu instead of Lubuntu.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I switched to xubuntu myself as I don't like unity or shell. I installed ubuntu light themes, feanza icons, my preferred apps and customised a few other things (ubuntu font was already installed) so now it looks much like my old pre-unity ubuntu, but it's a lot faster.

Using "old" gnome parts instead of xfce parts would probably make xubuntu a lot less lightweight and it wouldn't be Xubuntu (but some gnome-xfce-ubuntu GXubuntu)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser12345 View Post
    Canonical and the developers need to rapidly alter the theme for the next Xubuntu release. Since XFCE is so similar to GNOME 2.x, I would recommend basing Xubuntu 12.04 off the "classic" Ubuntu we see in 11.04 while in "Ubuntu Classic" and releases earlier.

As we all know, many people do not want to change to Unity, and find it very buggy. XFCE on Xubuntu offers the stability and feel of GNOME 2.x and the "classic" Ubuntu, which most people who know Ubuntu know best. Also, Xubuntu is currently, well... crappy! There are only basic utilities and themes, and there is pretty much no support by the community whatsoever. Xubuntu 12.04 needs to be the rebirth of the Xubuntu OS, bringing the classic features and looks we all know and love, while bringing the quality of Ubuntu to another playground.
    Xubuntu is maintained by a completely different team, that isn't employed by Canonical. You can help them out by going here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser12345 View Post
    With all due respect, I disagree. I say let the xubuntu team continue to do their amazing work in providing a high-quality implementation of the xfce DE. With the plans for xfce 4.10 now released (see: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5758), I'm eagerly awaiting to see these changes and how the xubuntu team will integrate this into the new versions.

As we all know, many people do not want to change to Unity, and find it very buggy. XFCE on Xubuntu offers the stability and feel of GNOME 2.x and the "classic" Ubuntu, which most people who know Ubuntu know best.
    Linux is about choice, and there are many choices available. xfce is one of these choices.
    Also, Xubuntu is currently, well... crappy!
    What?!?! I totally disagree here. IMO, Xubuntu (xfce) offers the perfect mix of a graphical environment that does not get in the way but still allows you to be functional. Ultimately, it boils down to preference and choice. One person's "crappy" is another person's "perfectly functional". Be careful making sweeping statements such as this - you may find that not everyone agrees with your opinion.
    There are only basic utilities and themes,
    Xubuntu has all of the base utilities that the other *buntus have, although not as many gui-based ones. It doesn't "hand hold" as much as the others. Also, there are plenty of themes available (see: http://xfce-look.org/), but again this boils down to choice. I'm quite happy with the default greybird theme - it fits perfectly with the design intentions of the DE.

and there is pretty much no support by the community whatsoever.
    Huh?!?!?!? Really? Have a look at the Xubuntu section here in ubuntuforums and over at the XFCE forums (http://forum.xfce.org/index.php). You'll find some very knowledgeable and helpful folks in both places

Xubuntu 12.04 needs to be the rebirth of the Xubuntu OS, bringing the classic features and looks we all know and love, while bringing the quality of Ubuntu to another playground.
    Xubuntu 12.04 needs to continue in its tradition of providing a quality xfce implementation on the ubuntu base. My two cents.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My only complaint about Xfce is this bug:

Bug 7367 – With many open windows, buttons move beyond end of window buttons list

And it's a trivial cosmetic problem.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans

Having switched to Xfce for all my computers save one (a 11.04 classic remains at work), I can say I like it very well. Not exactly Gnome 2, but that is OK.

Also, I find Xubuntu to be the best looking of all the -buntus right now. I like the greybird theme. I hope Xubuntu 12.04 is as great as the recent incarnations have been!

Beans
    Distro

i want global menus, dash and side-launcher in xubuntu!

....ok ok don't throw rocks at me. Wow people can't take a joke ;/
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I love Xubuntu! I keep trying new versions of Ubuntu when they come out and going back to X. It will run all the programs Ubuntu will only faster. Besides I like the blue and grey look.
    Good enough to get myself in trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast