Thread: LAMP through 'tasksel' or individually through 'apt'?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question LAMP through 'tasksel' or individually through 'apt'?

Hello,
    I recently installed 11.10 and am now about to install a LAMP stack. Upon searching, I find that somewhere on the Ubuntu website, it suggests that LAMP should be installed through taskel (I'm not sure how old it was).

However, I also have a machine running 11.04 and last winter when I set up a LAMP stack on that machine, I installed individually without any problems, other than a pesky mod_rewrite that I was never able to get working properly (at least with Drupal).

It seems much more simple to install a LAMP stack through 'taskel' but are there any disadvantages? Does this option not give me the latest stable releases or does it handicap configuration? Should I just go ahead and install and configure each package separately? Are there any advantages to installing the packages separately?

Thanks for any and all help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LAMP through 'tasksel' or individually through 'apt'?

I don't know whether there are any advantages to using tasksel (other than convenience) but I can tell you that I just configured a new Oneiric PC at work for LAMP development with tasksel and it installed what I believe are the latest versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: LAMP through 'tasksel' or individually through 'apt'?

Thanks for the reply. Is it like XAMPP? Or, is it more like a script that installs all of the packages at once? Also, is configuration the same?

Again, thanks.