Thread: Tabs For All Program Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Question Tabs For All Programs?

Hey everyone,

I was wanting to know if there was a program for Ubuntu that would add tabs to each program. As an example, there is a Windows program called "Window Tabs".

It add tabs to each program you specify or to all programs. This allows you to keep multiple views of the same program running but all within the same window and is accessible via tabs above the titlebar.

Why would someone want this?

As an example, for my work, I use one program to do everything. With that, I have several different views that have different information in each one that would be beneficial to have it all a single click away as opposed to navigating to each one via menus, etc. This way you can have a totally customized 'one-click' view to do this.

Anything like this available?

Thank you and God bless,
    Johnathan
    Last edited by johnathanamber; October 25th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Most of us do and say dumb things, think before you act. If you do plan on going the dumb route, please be sure to have the cameras rolling... you can at least give the rest of us a good laugh.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Tabs For All Program Windows?

Hi,
    I'm using KDE (Kubuntu) which uses KWin. KWin has exactly the feature you are talking about: When I click on the program's icon on the far upper left of the window (that's what you do to access the window manager tools), there's a menu called "Move Window to Group ->" with a list of the windows or window groups you have open. When I choose which group I want to move the window to, the window automatically is no longer a window but a tab, which is next to another tab: the window I attached it to. I attached a screenshot.
    I'm not aware that GNOME has such a feature.
    Good luck,
    - search
    P.S. As far as I am aware there is no way to automatically put all open windows into tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Tabs For All Program Windows?

@search,

Thanks for that. I am actually using XFCE (Xubuntu). I wonder if Kwin will work with anything other than KDE...

Sounds promising though.

Any other programs like Kwin?
    Most of us do and say dumb things, think before you act. If you do plan on going the dumb route, please be sure to have the cameras rolling... you can at least give the rest of us a good laugh.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

KWin is actually the default Window manager for KDE, which includes several things:

• Menu bars
    • Window management
    • Terminal Emulator encapsulation
    • Several desktop effects

And others. So, you could try installing KWin on Xubuntu and making it the default window manager instead of whatever XFCE has, but you would have to probably install a bunch of other things that may have undesirable results.
    Alternately, you could just migrate to KDE by installing the kubuntu-desktop package, without risking anything.
    - search
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

Hmmmm...

Maybe it won't work... I switched from Gnome to XFCE for the performance I get. KDE, IMHO, can be resource hoggy with its effects, and eye candy. That's what I've found with running KDE previously.

Thanks for that.