Thread: Best Recording Application?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Best Recording Application?

I am interested in recording audio as close to the soundcard as I can. That way the "source" of the recorded audio doesn't really matter, and one recording application will do any job I'd like it to. This has become impossible with recent versions of Windows due to overzealous worries about copyright infringement.

So (of course) I've come looking for a solution in the Linux world. I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions for a good audio recording application?

I am looking for:
    -The ability to record ANY audio processed by the soundcard.
    -The ability to record in multiple audio formats, both lossless and lossy
    -A "smart" recording ability which will auto-shutoff or at least auto file-split upon silence.

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated!
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Re: Best Recording Application?

I have a soundcard that is supported in Ubuntu and I use Audacity for everything.

To install the latest version:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audacity-team/daily 
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install audacity lame libmp3lame0
    Make sure you install the rest of the codecs you will need too:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/201...neiric-ocelot/

Ubuntu Studio for 11.10 should be able to handle what you want to do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    I am interested in recording audio as close to the soundcard as I can. That way the "source" of the recorded audio doesn't really matter, and one recording application will do any job I'd like it to. This has become impossible with recent versions of Windows due to overzealous worries about copyright infringement.

So (of course) I've come looking for a solution in the Linux world. I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions for a good audio recording application?

I am looking for:
    -The ability to record ANY audio processed by the soundcard.
    -The ability to record in multiple audio formats, both lossless and lossy
    -A "smart" recording ability which will auto-shutoff or at least auto file-split upon silence.

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated!