Thread: Bug: SMPlayer hangs/freezes with .mkv (#878000)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bug: SMPlayer hangs/freezes with .mkv (#878000)

So SMPlayer is freezing whenever I use it to play HD .mkv files via vdpau. (see below) Unlike the bug report, however, I am using Gnome shell.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug? Has anyone found a workaround?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/878000

Release: KUbuntu 11.10
    smplayer version: 0.6.9-4

Smplayer is basically unusable in the new ubuntu release. When I try to play anything with it, it hangs and its GUI does not respond to any events (mouse click/move, keyboard commands). It can be only killed. However, it seems that mplayer itself is working, i.e. it plays the movie, but this process is out of any control, I can only wait until the end of the movie. Mplayer also works normally when starting it independently from the command line. When the movie is ended, mplayer stops playing, but smplayer continues to hang until killed.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Bug: SMPlayer hangs/freezes with .mkv (#878000)

Wow. I can't believe no one else is having this problem. I've reinstalled 11.10 to get the exact same problem. Letting smplayer run eventually freezes the entire desktop!!

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I have no idea what happens, but it seems that SMplayer has stopped developing at some point,--I stand corrected if I am wrong on this,-- you may want to try umplayer and see if you have better luck, it is a fork of Smplayer so it is very similar except it has more features.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/umpla...d8-ubuntu.html

BTW, how do you know it is a SMplayer problem and not a problem in the mplayer backend? Have you tested with other mplayer front ends like gnome-mplayer or using mplayer with the command line to make sure that it is not a mplayer problem?
    Last edited by beew; October 26th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    I have no idea what happens, but it seems that SMplayer has stopped developing at some point,--I stand corrected if I am wrong on this,-- you may want to try umplayer and see if you have better luck, it is a fork of Smplayer so it is very similar except it has more features.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/umpla...d8-ubuntu.html
    Thanks for the suggestion. I already gave up on Oneiric and reinstalled Natty on my HTPC. Even so, I'll keep working on the problem on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    BTW, how do you know it is a SMplayer problem and not a problem in the mplayer backend? Have you tested with other mplayer front ends like gnome-mplayer or using mplayer with the command line to make sure that it is not a mplayer problem?
    I honestly don't know because I've never been able to get mplayer to play HD .mkv without the smplayer front end. Here's what I know:

Standard def runs fine on both.
    Smplayer worked fine with HD .mkv in Natty.
    Smplayer worked fine with HD .mkv in Oneiric last week before the major update.

The thing that leads me to suspect smplayer is the fact that 1. the movies plays 2. the gui freezes until, finally 3. the desktop freezes.

If umplayer works in Oneiric, then I'll not think about it too much and just move forward.
    Last edited by drawkcab; October 26th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Found out that the bug involves the cache. Set the cache to zero and everything's fine again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Found out that the bug involves the cache. Set the cache to zero and everything's fine again.
    I have heard of this problem with UMPlayer as well. Can you confirm the setting you altered? I attach a screenshot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, set those to zero.