Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gnome shell 3.2 setups

Thought it would be helpful to have a thread showing some ways gnome shell can be configured, as well as a place to share any tips & tricks you've discovered.

theme.jpg extensions.jpg desktop.jpg

*These images contain screenshots that show theme, fonts & extensions, information that should be helpful in setting up any gnome shell system.

Let's create a gallery showing the diversity & potential of Gnome shell.
    Last edited by cbowman57; October 31st, 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Desktop Gallery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

I am somewhat confused with the way the Ubuntu desktop has evolved. I understand that it is designed for touchscreen and traditional peripheral inputs, but with the quantity of applications that I work with the touch screen menu tends to be confining. Basically, I would prefer the old fallback classic Ubuntu menu.

The touchscreen menu might work well as a mouse menu if the icons were smaller. And definitely, I need the ability to reorganize the menu categories. Because it seems that I have to use the application search tool - maybe that's what they are trying to do, anyway.

When I tried the 'fallback' on my initial install of 11.10, it did not seem that I could have both at the same time - it was one desktop, or the other.

So, if there is a way to meet those demands, I'll be happy
    Ubuntu 19.10; Dell 11-3147 upgraded to 480GB SSD, and 8GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

@Sidewalkcynic: You can make the menu icons smaller if you want to, and you can get a menu a la "gnome desktop" like this:

Last edited by BazookaAce; October 25th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A lot can be done through the use of extensions, a good place to start is Webupd8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by BazookaAce View Post
    @Sidewalkcynic: You can make the menu icons smaller if you want to, and you can get a menu a la "gnome desktop" like this
    That looks pretty good. I like the use of transparent background for app menus. I am going to want to put the app menu on the right side of the top panel - how do I do all that? I'll see what is at Webupd8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

thanks,

I installed the tweaks and themes, and something else, from WebUpD8.

I noticed that it installed the fallback package, and noticed that it reoccurred the login page that I experienced before, and so I was better prepared for what was coming - I can deal with it.

I'll check the WebUpD8 a bit more.

I installed Jupiter - I think I have noticed that had a lower battery life. If it had to do with the kernal update then I would have been oblivious to it somewhat, because I got the Aspire One at about the time of the update.
    Last edited by sidewalkcynic; October 25th, 2011 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sidewalkcynic View Post
    That looks pretty good. I like the use of transparent background for app menus. I am going to want to put the app menu on the right side of the top panel - how do I do all that? I'll see what is at Webupd8
    The extension developer decides where everything gets placed, luckily, extensions are made with quite readable JavaScript, so you can edit it yourself if you want. Editing an icon or a color of a theme is normally pretty easy, but editing placement can be difficult I think. I never tried that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    The extension developer decides where everything gets placed, luckily, extensions are made with quite readable JavaScript, so you can edit it yourself if you want. Editing an icon or a color of a theme is normally pretty easy, but editing placement can be difficult I think. I never tried that.
    Well,I have the menu like the screen shot, Bazooka gave; and I forget that it is there, and I wind up clicking on Activities which leads to the desktop-like menu with the large icons. The drop-down menu is pretty, and I think the scroll bar feature is interestingly different. I have to kind of re-think my organization. But definitely, I would prefer that drop down menu on the right side and put the message/log-out menu on the left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I added TuxCards to my StartUp list, and the desktop that I got from WebUpD8 could not handle it - froze. had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to log out.

I logged back in to Gnome classic (no effects), to get to the StartUp menu and I removed TuxCards, but when I log into Gnome to get the fancy new desktop, it gives me an openbox interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can edit the settings of some extensions with dconf-editor.

sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

Then navigate to ORG/GNOME/SHELL/EXTENSIONS.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast