Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 283

Thread: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Beans
    457
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    I'll bite: does anyone know if, and if so, how, GTK3 and Clutter can handle rgba or other transparency in menus? I've been playing with a LiveCD, and usability-wise, it's a step up from what I'm using now, but I really, really like transparent menus.

    I don't mean the Shell menus, by the way, which are rgba-toting CSS objects - I mean specifically the application menus from right-click or the menu bar.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    3,225

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    This one is with Clarity icons - I still seem to need need a few more .......

    Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 26th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,298
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I'll bite: does anyone know if, and if so, how, GTK3 and Clutter can handle rgba or other transparency in menus? I've been playing with a LiveCD, and usability-wise, it's a step up from what I'm using now, but I really, really like transparent menus.

    I don't mean the Shell menus, by the way, which are rgba-toting CSS objects - I mean specifically the application menus from right-click or the menu bar.
    Can't say it with certainty but the gtk3 themes are nothing but .css files & widgets so if the shell can use transparency I think it would be possible to make the rest of the theme do it too.

    This isn't a definitive answer, hopefully somebody that knows will chime in.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,298
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    This one is with Clarity icons - I still seem to need need a few more .......
    Looks good but I was hoping to show screenshots that actually provided the information people would find useful to emulate the look or discover an extension they were unaware of.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    3,225

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    A ha ...... ok with you now ..... will go in search of new things ....


    http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/

    Fedora ...

    http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome...extension.html
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 26th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,298
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    A ha ...... ok with you now ..... will go in search of new things ....
    Cool!

    I don't think a lot of people know what the shell can do, wanted to show them some possibilities & how to set it up with gnome-tweak-tool (Advanced Settings). There are other desktop threads but they are more like beauty pageants & by the time you ask somebody how they achieved a particular look or function the screenshot is 5 pages back.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    10,954
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.”

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57
    Can't say it with certainty but the gtk3 themes are nothing but .css files & widgets so if the shell can use transparency I think it would be possible to make the rest of the theme do it too.
    I think you're right about this. Specifically, menu objects seem to be the same stretched .png as ever, but with rgba support built in.

    Too much fun stuff to play with. = )

    Edit: Does anyone know why there's an "open" animation but not a "close" animation for windows? = /
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; October 27th, 2011 at 07:15 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Beans
    2,298
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I think you're right about this. Specifically, menu objects seem to be the same stretched .png as ever, but with rgba support built in.

    Too much fun stuff to play with. = )

    Edit: Does anyone know why there's an "open" animation but not a "close" animation for windows? = /
    Most of this goes right over my head but you might be able to make sense of Finn Murphy's blog http://blog.fpmurphy.com/page/3 .He might cover that in some of his earlier entries.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •