Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome shell 3.2 setups

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my username from being displayed in the status menu. I used to have a way to do it with the old version but they've made some significant changes since then.

If anyone comes across a way to do it I'd appreciate knowing about it.

I don't want to get rid of the im status, just my name, but if you run across a noim extension that works with 3.2 maybe I could take a look & see if anything inside gives me a clue.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Gnome shell 3.2 ubuntu 11.10

The modifications to ubuntu 11.10 to get back to a useful desktop are getting far too much.
    1.First I have to get the menu based Classic layout ( now requires installing software) ,
    2. The I have to switch window buttons to the right ( I can do that)
    3. I have to get windows with a theme I can see & not these black shadows. I cannot find that at present because the preferences menu has disappeared along with lots of other items. text editor , terminal . I cannot remember all these shortcuts mentioned in most posts .

Solution - revert back to 11.04 .
    I guess I will be back on XP after that & after that

Beans
    Distro

Remove username from top panel:

Open up userMenu.js & locate this line:
    Code:
    _updateUserName: function() {
    Then comment out the next 4 lines:
    Code:
     _updateUserName: function() {
           // if (this._user.is_loaded)
           //     this._name.set_text(this._user.get_real_name());
          //  else
           //     this._name.set_text("");
    The result is a user menu that doesn't display your name.
    no-name.png

Beans
    Distro

Re: Gnome shell 3.2 ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by actprime View Post
    The modifications to ubuntu 11.10 to get back to a useful desktop are getting far too much.
    1.First I have to get the menu based Classic layout ( now requires installing software) ,
    2. The I have to switch window buttons to the right ( I can do that)
    3. I have to get windows with a theme I can see & not these black shadows. I cannot find that at present because the preferences menu has disappeared along with lots of other items. text editor , terminal . I cannot remember all these shortcuts mentioned in most posts .

Solution - revert back to 11.04 .
    I guess I will be back on XP after that & after that
    This isn't a "I'm gonna kill myself if Ubuntu doesn't revive Gnome 2" thread. Plenty of those available, I have no idea why you thought this comment belongs here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indeed, given he's talking about Unity, anyway. Neat trick re: the username!

Argh, the Shell search is irritating the hell out of me. It uses ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel rather than Zeitgeist, which is fine, except that it never clears old paths from moved or deleted items and doesn't indicate that they're deleted. I started a bug on this. The alternative, using one of the Zeitgeist-based search extensions, would be equally fine if not for the fact that they're all actually the same extension and break the use of the Enter key in the search. I really don't know which is worse.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Indeed, given he's talking about Unity, anyway. Neat trick re: the username!
    I do get tired of the noise, but yeah, I like the clean look up in the panel, plus I have a tendency to orient everything to upper right & I like it compact.
    Argh, the Shell search is irritating the hell out of me. It uses ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel rather than Zeitgeist, which is fine, except that it never clears old paths from moved or deleted items and doesn't indicate that they're deleted. I started a bug on this. The alternative, using one of the Zeitgeist-based search extensions, would be equally fine if not for the fact that they're all actually the same extension and break the use of the Enter key in the search. I really don't know which is worse.
    Haven't run into that myself but it's almost like the zeitgeist search brings up too much info, not sure that I actually like it, jury is still out. Seems it tries to default to contacts if it can't locate anything else. I think we need more tools like activity log manager to "tune" what it finds.

Do you have a link to that search extension you're using? I might try it out & see if i suits me.

btw, I started a thread this evening for extensions, new, different, modified, etc. So if you run across anything interesting. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1884693

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I saw your other thread - very cool. = )

On the searching - really, all of the Zeitgeist search extensions have this problem. An example is this one, "Zeitgeist Search," but there's one called "Gimme" and one called "Advanced Search" that all behave the same way. Anyway, they're unusable as far as I'm concerned, because they break the basic type-and-hit-Enter launching that Shell wants to use as the basic way to launch non-Favorite apps. That boils down to "the Enter key doesn't work," and that's really my only complaint with them, but it's a big one.

My hangup is that the basic search, without any extensions, doesn't use Zeitgest at all. It doesn't respond to the Activity Log Manager (so "private" files display in the search) and it doesn't remove deleted items. I don't mind the "noise" of extra items returned by indexed content, etc. from Zeitgeist, but it's absurd to me that the search includes items that no longer exist, or have been moved, or I've specifically excluded from indexing.

I get the contacts items, too, and they're fairly useless, of course. They're usually off the bottom of the screen and I just tend to ignore them.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, ok, it will locate them but then you have to mouse-click to launch?

Yeah, just looked, I was using the "Advanced Search", I disabled that and like the way it searches better. One less extension to load I guess.

I'm still feeling my way along, I know that in time there will be a specific set of extensions that I'll want to install but I haven't arrived at that yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    This isn't a "I'm gonna kill myself if Ubuntu doesn't revive Gnome 2" thread. Plenty of those available, I have no idea why you thought this comment belongs here.
    When you have taken about 5 hrs to do an "upgrade" and a few more hours to try & make sense of it . Then you decide someone should be told, you don't expect abuse.
    Its true I am not a habitual of such forums - but in 2009 ubuntu was pretty useful , maybe I should change to LTS so I don't hit incompatibility problems so often.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have what is probably a really simple question but I don't know the answer.

I am using gnome shell but don't know how to use the tweak tool to activate the User-Theme extension which I downloaded from Web Upd8 GNOMES PPA?

Could you help me out? I have posted a question on the forum with no result.

I hope you can help me,

Edit - I solved problem with the help of this thread but not sure what I actually did.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746110

I would very much appreciate it cbowman57 if you could spell out the actual procedure in activating the Theme via the tweak tool - I'm not real bright.

Regards -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; November 26th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast