Thread: panp7 slow to post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question panp7 slow to post

My girlfriend has a panp7 that seems to take a really long time to post and boot. See the video I made here: http://youtu.be/fFCoPJBYaaQ

You can see it takes 20 seconds for the post messages to even show.
    While the overall boot time is not horrible (about 1 minute) I can't help but think how much better things could be with 20 more seconds.

Is there a bios update for this laptop?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: panp7 slow to post

That sounds like a hard drive is starting to fail. Can you try removing the hard drive and see if the BIOS splash image comes up sooner?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    That sounds like a hard drive is starting to fail. Can you try removing the hard drive and see if the BIOS splash image comes up sooner?
    Thanks for the reply isantop.

I can certainly do that, no trouble, my only hesitation is will that void the 1 year warranty? I still have a few months left on the warranty and I'd hate to prematurely end that support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

USB or Esata devices plugged in when the computer is turned on can also delay POST. Did you try unplugging everything and seeing if the delay goes away?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Plecebo View Post
    Thanks for the reply isantop.

I can certainly do that, no trouble, my only hesitation is will that void the 1 year warranty? I still have a few months left on the warranty and I'd hate to prematurely end that support.
    Nope, it won't void your warranty at all. It's very simple, and should be pretty quick.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

OK I pulled the HD and I still got the same 20 second delay before the system76 logo comes up.

The only accessory that was plugged in was a usb wireless mouse, which I also removed. No change.

I tried changing the bios settings (disable both the sata channels, disable legacy USB, disable legacy OS) none changed the boot behavior, now I have it set on factory defaults.

I tried with and without the battery plugged in, running on and off battery, same behavior.

Is the 20 second delay from pressing the power button to when the system 76 logo appears normal? I've not seen a delay so long even on a desktop, but even then there is information piped to the screen. Even with debug boot screens turned on in the bios the screen is completely black for 20 seconds before any of the bios text shows up.

Usually in a desktop that is when I am seeing the video card bios information, could this be a video card behaving badly? I also have issues with the graphics performance on this machine. Even with the fglrx driver installed I see choppy animations when logging in. Could they be somehow related? I've struggled with the graphics (I think I've pinned it on the graphics) on this machine for a while

Thank you for the help, and the information regarding the warranty. Some manufacturers are bigger sticklers for that then others, and I just wanted to check before I went after it with a screwdriver.

Beans
    Distro

Update:

We did a clean install of 11.10 earlier this week and the system seems stable.

The laptop still takes a very long time to post, and subsequently boot however, which is somewhat concerning.

It would be nice if anyone (especially system76 support) could comment on the 20 seconds of waiting before the computer posts. Is that normal?

Should I maybe be looking at a hardware failure situation? Perhaps a bios update? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Plecebo View Post
    It would be nice if anyone (especially system76 support) could comment on the 20 seconds of waiting before the computer posts. Is that normal?
    I'm not from system76. I have a panp7 and I watched your video. The 20 second delay cannot be normal and no one would pay for a laptop like panp7 if it were; I would *call* them for repairs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vajorie View Post
    I'm not from system76. I have a panp7 and I watched your video. The 20 second delay cannot be normal and no one would pay for a laptop like panp7 if it were; I would *call* them for repairs.
    I appreciate the confirmation that what i'm experiencing is NOT normal. I will attempt to contact them.