Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripping DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ripping DVDs

I've been trying to rip DVDs, and nothing seems to work. I installed acidrip, but it can't find any DVD titles. I then tried to get Handbrake, but with all the PPAs, its more of a headache. I downloaded the RPM package for Fedora 15 (64 bit), and converted it with alien. I installed it, but it does nothing and now I don't know how to uninstall it. Can anyone help me?

I'm on Oneiric, and can't change my account details, so it still says Natty.
    Last edited by gupti; October 25th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ripping DVDs

You'll be able to change your details after you hit 50 posts. The moderators placed that restriction in desperation to help cope with the enormous number of spammers.

Try installing K3b from the repositories. I believe it will solve your problem.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    You'll be able to change your details after you hit 50 posts. The moderators placed that restriction in desperation to help cope with the enormous number of spammers.

Try installing K3b from the repositories. I believe it will solve your problem.
    Have you actually used it? Did it work? I have tried with several dvds and it never worked at all. It may be related to this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...k3b/+bug/99448 (k3b in the repo is crippled as it is not compiled with libdvdread-dev) Don't know if it is still the case.

@Op,

I think handbrake is actually the best of the free ones I have tried. I don't understand the aversion of ppas, most multimedia apps in the Ubuntu repos are either crippled or outdated so as a rule I install them from ppas. Get the daily build ppa if you want to give handbrake another try,

The best dvd ripper by far however is makemkv, it is fast and uses very little cpu, but it is proprietary and you may need to renew something after 30 days (the beta version is always going to be free as in beer it says) http://www.makemkv.com/
    Last edited by beew; October 25th, 2011 at 04:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by gupti View Post
    I've been trying to rip DVDs, and nothing seems to work. I installed acidrip, but it can't find any DVD titles. I then tried to get Handbrake, but with all the PPAs, its more of a headache. I downloaded the RPM package for Fedora 15 (64 bit), and converted it with alien. I installed it, but it does nothing and now I don't know how to uninstall it. Can anyone help me?

I'm on Oneiric, and can't change my account details, so it still says Natty.

hi gupti i have handbrake here in my ubuntuone cloud in a deb one for cli one for gui

i installed this 2 days ago on Oneiric and it installed quickly and cleanly

Help yourself handbrake is very good a program in my experience

also and i would say as well as there is k9copy which is in your synaptic or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install k9copy
    Last edited by shantiq; October 25th, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post

The best dvd ripper by far however is makemkv, it is fast and uses very little cpu, but it is proprietary and you may need to renew something after 30 days (the beta version is always going to be free as in beer it says) http://www.makemkv.com/

hi there beew before i go on a wild-goose chase are u using this one under wine or with the linux version here

the reason i ask is because it is from 2008 so i wonder if the dependencies are still good

Looks interesting
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Ripping DVDs

dvdrip in the repos works fine on 11.10 Used to rip main titles out of both an ISO and prop disc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    hi there beew before i go on a wild-goose chase are u using this one under wine or with the linux version here

the reason i ask is because it is from 2008 so i wonder if the dependencies are still good

Looks interesting
    Hi, I use the Linux version. I think the original forum post was from 2008 but it got updated everytime there is a new version, the one you find there is v1.6.15, which is the latest (same as the Windows one on their main page)

Never tried it on 11.10, but on 11.04 and 10.10 it installed without a hitch. It is amazing,it is so fast and the cpu usage so low that I can actually rip a full movie in a crappy laptop with only 1G of ram and 1.6 GH cpu without the thing shutting down with overheating,--with handbrake I have to put it on ice,-- but I don't know what will happen after 30 days though so I am still using handbrake as my main ripping software

P.S. Unfortunately k9copy is dead, the developer quited.
    Last edited by beew; October 25th, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    dvdrip in the repos works fine on 11.10 Used to rip main titles out of both an ISO and prop disc.
    For me it is always hit and miss, there are many dvds I could rip with handbrake but with dvdrip it aborts midway with some cryptic errors or produces bad quality rip, even if it works it takes considerably longer (with handbrake ~40 mins but with dvdrip takes ~2 hours or longer) I guess mileage can be different depending on hardware and the kind of dvds, but based on my experience I wouldn't recommend it.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Ripping DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    For me it is always hit and miss,
    I think DVD ripping can be pretty random generally I did have a bit of a weird one a while ago where every ripper I used seemed to argue with transcode and DVDrip ended up coming out on top. I do like it's audio ripping by chapter as well for concert discs - a task that seems to be made stunningly difficult by some software.

As you say though different hardware/disc and a different app might be better suited

Worse comes to the worse you can rip DVD from the terminal with ffmpeg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gupti View Post
    I've been trying to rip DVDs, and nothing seems to work. I installed acidrip, but it can't find any DVD titles. I then tried to get Handbrake, but with all the PPAs, its more of a headache.
    What is it exactly you are trying to do with this rip? Do you want to burn another DVD, or convert the output to another format? The programs you use will vary depending on your intended usage. I can give you good instructions for doing a DVD copy, but it uses WINE, since the programs are all written for *******.
    I keep meaning to procrastinate more...

This is my anti-zombie cat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast