Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ripping DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ripping DVDs

I would be using / would have tried handbrake if I didn't have the problem I posted. (Post #11).

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gupti View Post
    I would be using / would have tried handbrake if I didn't have the problem I posted. (Post #11).
    Did you install with ppa or from Ubuntu's repository? If it is the latter I am not surprised that it is broken. Don't listen to people who tell you ppas are risky, untrustworthy etc. I install almost all my multimedia stuffs from ppas (with a few compiles) because Ubuntu's offers are always outdated, often broken, crippled (k3b a case in point) or just plain don't work. What do you expect with the repo freeze? Open source never waits til perfection to release so snapshots are bound to have bugs or missing some features, with the freeze bug fixes and new features would not get to the repo during the lifespan of the release (which is 18 months for normal release and will be 5 years for LTS. Imagine no feature update and bug fixes for 5 years)
    Last edited by beew; November 10th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unfortunately, I do not know how to add a PPA.

I also tried ripping the DVD with Thoggen, but it acts in the same way as acidrip, stalling, using up all my RAM and not being able to read the titles.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gupti View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not know how to add a PPA.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...A_Repositories

Beans

Thanks SeijiSensi, the missing link for a few of us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit and I use K9Copy to rip my DVD-Video movies. It works for most DVD-Video movies that I used. I am new to Handbrake and I am learning how to use it in order to save a significant amount of available disk space. Handbrake will not allow you to rip encrypted DVD-Video movies unless you have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras and VLC together. I prefer lossless audio and video formats as I do not want to degrade sound or picture quality, but I am tempted to switch to lossy video formats like H.264 or MPEG-4 in order to save hundreds of gigabytes of available disk space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: Ripping DVDs

Install a program called dvd::rip. It's in the repos, so all you have to do is
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install dvdrip
    and you are good to go. Should work fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123