Thread: Unity doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

Beans

Unity 11.10 doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

I can run multiple instances of Evolution email programme in 10.10 in different workspaces and open different aspects of it: emails/contacts/calendar/memos/tasks etc in different workspaces at the same time, but not in Unity 11.10.

Also, I've also noticed that in Unity 11.10 you can only open a browser in one workspace no matter how many workspaces you have, whereas in 10.10 you can open the same browser in as many workspaces as you like. I know you can open tabs, but having many browsers open at the same time and on different web pages as well as tabs, helps me because of eyesight problems.

Hello Steve

Last edited by xisxas; November 23rd, 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Unity 11.10 doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

Middle-click on an icon to open a new instance.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Re: Unity doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

Thank you for your reply - I will check it out when I boot back into Unity. Have looked at your blog.

Hello Steve
    Last edited by xisxas; November 24th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: Unity 11.10 doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    Middle-click on an icon to open a new instance.
    That is cool. Where did you learn that? I have been using Unity since Natty development, and I didn't know that. You used to be able to right-click on the icon of a running app and it had a menu selection to start a new instance, but they took it away before Natty was released. I liked it.

I hope I can remember this.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    That is cool. Where did you learn that? I have been using Unity since Natty development, and I didn't know that. You used to be able to right-click on the icon of a running app and it had a menu selection to start a new instance, but they took it away before Natty was released. I liked it.

I hope I can remember this.

Tim
    I read it someplace lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xisxas View Post
    Thank you for your reply - I will check it out when I boot back into Unity. Have looked at your blog.
    Cool thanks.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Unity 11.10 doesn't seem as flexible as 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    That is cool. Where did you learn that?...
    Hi Tim! This is on the shortcut wallpaper, along with other cool stuff like "Super+W" and dragging windows to the borders, etc....

Shortcut wallpaper for Unity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xisxas View Post
    I can run multiple instances of Evolution email programme in 10.10 in different workspaces and open different aspects of it: emails/contacts/calendar/memos/tasks etc in different workspaces at the same time, but not in Unity 11.10.

Also, I've also noticed that in Unity 11.10 you can only open a browser in one workspace no matter how many workspaces you have, whereas in 10.10 you can open the same browser in as many workspaces as you like. I know you can open tabs, but having many browsers open at the same time and on different web pages as well as tabs, helps me because of eyesight problems.

Hi peeps,

The link below shows how you can achieve multiple instances of the same programme in different workspaces, but I find it too cumbersome to adopt this practice at the moment, so I'll wait until its sorted out before going over to Unity from 10.10.

Thanks for everyones contribution.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/l...her-workspace/

Hello Steve

Last edited by xisxas; November 23rd, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

Hi peeps,

Just a few words on where I've got to since I originally put this thread up. I have used Ubuntu for a long time and haven't taken to the Unity front end (see above posts), then I tried Linux Mint which is ok, but am now using Zorin on my community groups computers, which has a classical front end flexibility of pre Unity Ubuntu except for the livery or you can make it look a bit like Windows. I really am sorry about your change to Unity and I still admire the effort your guys have put in but I needed an os the group could use that they would feel a bit familiar with. Cheers
    Last edited by xisxas; June 19th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.