Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hope I haven't bricked it.....

Beans

Re: I hope I haven't bricked it.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer7777 View Post
    Acer usually supports BIOS updates for 2 years... That means whatever you are running is pretty ancient by now. Ubuntu should have the drivers for it in the Kernel by now, I would imagine.. Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Maybe because it is old. What was the previous system you had installed on that machine?
    It might be exactly 2 years old. I, personally, have only had it a little over a year. It was Windows 7 32 bit. Ran that and Ubuntu great, never had any performance problems out of it. If I just hadn't shut it down while updating, I'd say it'd still be running fine today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
    For some reason, it is failing to boot from the USB flash drive. Can you try using a different flash drive?

Used a separate flash drive loaded with 11.10, same results as with the first one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt86 View Post
    Used a separate flash drive loaded with 11.10, same results as with the first one.
    Can you upload an image of the Intel screen that appears?

Also, you might want to try booting the flash drives on another laptop or desktop to make sure that they work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
    Can you upload an image of the Intel screen that appears?

Also, you might want to try booting the flash drives on another laptop or desktop to make sure that they work.
    Yeah, but it'll have to be a picture of the screen, cheesy right? Also, flickr was the first photo sharing site I could think of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69015556@N04/6275405372/

Oh, and I checked the drives on my other laptop, both working fine, almost installed Ubuntu again.
    Last edited by hazmatt86; October 24th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Beans

Do you know anything about laptop hardware? Like are you knowledgeable enough to remove your laptop hard drive without destroying things? You could try swapping it into the other laptop. Then you could definitely check if it was a BIOS problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah, but it'll have to be a picture of the screen, cheesy right? Also, flickr was the first photo sharing site I could think of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69015556@N04/6275405372/

Oh, and I checked the drives on my other laptop, both working fine, almost installed Ubuntu again.
    I'm stumped; I don't know why the USB flash drives are not booting on the netbook. You've probably already tried using different USB slots on the netbook? If you have a USB optical drive or an external hard drive, you can try booting from those.

As a last resort, you can transfer the hard drive in the netbook to another laptop, then boot from a USB flash drive, and create a small partition in the netbook's hard drive to install a live Ubuntu system there (by the same method that you are creating the live USBs). Afterwards, put the hard drive back into the netbook, and it should boot successfully into a live system. Then you can install Ubuntu as you normally would, with the caveat that you cannot overwrite or move the partition where it is booting from (which is why you should make this small). However, you can always wipe this partition after you have Ubuntu installed.

What I've outlined above is rather annoying to carry out, though, so you probably want to look out for other suggestions first.
    Last edited by ironclaw; October 24th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OneXero View Post
    Do you know anything about laptop hardware? Like are you knowledgeable enough to remove your laptop hard drive without destroying things? You could try swapping it into the other laptop. Then you could definitely check if it was a BIOS problem.
    Hopefully you have access to another computer where you can create a fresh stick of Ubuntu live to boot from. Perhaps there is something wrong with your USB stick? Did you power off your system while the live USB stick was booted and running Ubuntu? That will sometimes prevent your USB stick from functioning anymore after a hard power cycle.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OneXero View Post
    I know my way around the hardware of the other laptop, I'm sure I could swap out the drives, but is there software I'd have to be aware of when switching those drives? Isn't there a bit of drivers specific to certain laptops with certain Hard drives? Like would the Toshiba drive in the Netbook still be compatible with the other laptop?
    Sorry for all these questions, I just wouldn't wanna have two laptops down.

Beans

I know my way around the hardware of the other laptop, I'm sure I could swap out the drives, but is there software I'd have to be aware of when switching those drives? Isn't there a bit of drivers specific to certain laptops with certain Hard drives? Like would the Toshiba drive in the Netbook still be compatible with the other laptop?
    Sorry for all these questions, I just wouldn't wanna have two laptops down.
    You can purchase a IDE/SATA to USB connector from most computer stores. Fry's Electronics is a place that has them for around 20 US Dollars. You just remove the hard drive. Hook the IDE/SATA and power cable to the USB adapter and you can boot from that USB on another computer.

Perhaps there is something only wrong with your Flash Drive? I would try another Flash Drive (a new one) first before taking apart a working system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer7777 View Post
    Hopefully you have access to another computer where you can create a fresh stick of Ubuntu live to boot from. Perhaps there is something wrong with your USB stick? Did you power off your system while the live USB stick was booted and running Ubuntu? That will sometimes prevent your USB stick from functioning anymore after a hard power cycle.
    Both were functioning earlier, when Ironclaw asked me to try and boot them from another laptop. Ubuntu loaded and was ready to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclaw
    As a last resort, you can transfer the hard drive in the netbook to another laptop, then boot from a USB flash drive, and create a small partition in the netbook's hard drive to install a live Ubuntu system there (by the same method that you are creating the live USBs). Afterwards, put the hard drive back into the netbook, and it should boot successfully into a live system. Then you can install Ubuntu as you normally would, with the caveat that you cannot overwrite or move the partition where it is booting from (which is why you should make this small). However, you can always wipe this partition after you have Ubuntu installed.
    Sounds like what I may end up doing, as long nothing else stops it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast