Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upstart-udev-bridge uses 100% CPU after upgrade 11.04 -> 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

upstart-udev-bridge uses 100% CPU after upgrade 11.04 -> 11.10

The title says it all... I use Dell Latitude D620. Found this bug link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/875242

Any workarounds in the meantime?

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: upstart-udev-bridge uses 100% CPU after upgrade 11.04 -> 11.10

Yes, a workaround is to remove the laptop battery, it actually says this on the bug report too... I did a fresh install, but the problem remains when the battery is connected.

Beans

Unhappy Re: upstart-udev-bridge uses 100% CPU after upgrade 11.04 -> 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by mexp View Post
    Yes, a workaround is to remove the laptop battery, it actually says this on the bug report too... I did a fresh install, but the problem remains when the battery is connected.
    Great workaround... but when you have a MacBook Pro, you can't remove the battery...

Is it dangerous to just kill the process?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know if you could kill the process from command line with some extra --force options, but at least from the System Monitor Process list it's not possible - the process just won't die!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...hoping this bug will be fixed soon - I have a brand new battery and it lasts about 35 minutes when one of the CPU's is running on 100% all the time

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mexp View Post
    I don't know if you could kill the process from command line with some extra --force options, but at least from the System Monitor Process list it's not possible - the process just won't die!
    That doesn't surprise me. The process is a root process, it can only be killed by a root user (using su or sudo).

I haven't tried killing it as I don't know what the consequence may be for my battery. I don't want to break my hardware...

So for now I don't use ubuntu, I keep using OS X. Too bad...

Beans

I have had the same problem since i upgraded to 11.10. I was able to "idle" the process once i found it's pid in terminal. Technically it's still running but it no longer gobbles all my cpu cycles:

$ ps -aux

then after looking for its PID in the list:

$ sudo kill -kill 280

That does it for me everytime but only till i log in again from booting, or suspending, or from idling. The command is running but at very very low cycle levels.

I am now trying without the battery and after suspending i was able to come up to a system running at only 6% CPU usage cause i have 8 tabs open in chrome and 3 terminals open and nautilus too.

Can't wait for the fix.

No witty quotes, I'm missing a few crucial neurons!!
    Last edited by johnneebee; October 30th, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos and corrections

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wonder if this would have anything to do with a replacement battery (instead of original Dell battery). Does this bug affect other kind of hardware combinations? Waiting for the fix... Killing the process as root helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, this is really annoying, as even if I kill the process, it will start using 100% CPU after a while again... Please someone, please! Would not want to revert to 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So this seems to me that it's a problem with the replacement battery. I went to a store where they sell old laptops, and tested my system with an original Dell battery - and this process doesn't hang. I did this two, three times, every time same result.

Perhaps someone else could confirm this? And I wouldn't mind having this fixed anyway, original Dell batteries are twice the price of the replacement batteries.
    Last edited by mexp; November 17th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast