Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Unhappy Aaaaaa !!! Impossible !!!

DUE TO THE GRAPHIC NATURE
    OF THIS VIDEO VIEWER
    DISCRETION IS ADVISED:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68wjjYzNmUk
    What is going on?
    Ubuntu need almost a minute to boot?!
    I tried Ubuntu 11.04 in March when it was in beta phase and nothing like this never happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Aaaaaa !!! Impossible !!!

Oh my, that's so sad....

Not surprised though.

We've put Bodhi Linux on the partitions that would normally have Oneiric on them. Natty was a big disappointment so was prematurely wiped, and Oneiric is not a big enough improvement for us. Wish it was.
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans
    Hidden!

It's the update to the boot manager and unity. :V

The GDM theme was also severely updated, it's heavier, slightly. I shouldn't call it gdm, because you can't stop gdm if you go to a TTY from TTY7.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Windows as per ever will take forever to become stable.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview actually drops you into the WIN 7 desktop that takes a while to load.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xaronic View Post
    The Windows 8 Developer Preview actually drops you into the WIN 7 desktop that takes a while to load.
    I hope I can change it so it defaults to the classic desktop, to be honest, I don't like the metro UI, since I'm on a gaming desktop.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Hidden!

Is Windows 8 like Windows 7 in the way it boots. I was impressed with the boot time of a netbook I bought with Windows 7 on it. That was until I realized that you get a desktop quickly; however, it takes a while longer before you can actually use it without significant delay in apps loading, etc. I've only tried Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 in a VM so I can't compare Ubuntu 11.XX to Windows 7 or 8. With Ubuntu 10.04, once you have a desktop you can use it immediately.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows is faster to boot because you need to reboot it so much

Seriously, most of my stuff is always on, even a netbook I use. Boot speeds aren't important to me. Besides, I'm sure that if you take into account Windows loading everything in the background after it "boots" to make it even somewhat usable, the load times would be about the same. I know after I boot Win7 that even though it boots fairly quickly, it still has to grind the disk for a minute or so afterwards until it settles down and becomes usable, unlike Ubuntu where it is pretty much done when it gets to the desktop.

Beans

Why was the video blurred? Are you sure one laptop wasn't hibernated as opposed to shutdown? Besides, if Windows doesn't come with all features yet, then it will boot faster.

Any comparison before the final release is fake. Also, any comparison between standard Ubuntu and modified Windows (modified to match the hardware) is also fake.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Why was the video blurred?
    Because he was typing his password to login in Windows.

Are you sure one laptop wasn't hibernated as opposed to shutdown?
    Yes, you can see the Dell BIOS logo.

Besides, if Windows doesn't come with all features yet, then it will boot faster.
    Do Ubuntu load at boot LibreOffice, GIMP or any of the features you would install on Windows? No.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tibuda View Post
    Because he was typing his password to login in Windows.
    He could have left the screen visible (blur the keyboard) or changed his password for the purpose of the video.

Yes, you can see the Dell BIOS logo.
    I said Hibernate, not Suspend. Hibernation goes through post and BIOS the same as regular boot, except it is 10 times faster as an image of the RAM state is written to the HDD and only needs to be loaded. With Hibernation the OS doesn't go through the same hardware detection or booting of all the services.

Do Ubuntu load at boot LibreOffice, GIMP or any of the features you would install on Windows? No.
    You didn't understand me, I am not talking about Gimp or LibreOffice. Go to Ubuntu (or Windows 7) and open the system monitor to see all the processes working. Without having any programs open, you will still have quite a list. Those are services that are running all the time and providing various features, like index the HDD or keep track of updates or log system messages or power configuration or sync different apps ... If windows 8 doesn't have the full set of such features implemented yet, then it will boot much faster than Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast