Thread: Cairo-dock duplicate docks???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Cairo-dock duplicate docks???

RESOLUTION:

Although I am sure there is a more elegant way to do this, I presumed that the issue was in the fact of having originally spawned the cairo-dock, telling it to always launch at startup and then saving the desktop settings on each logout. My guess is, it kept spawning an additional copy of the cairo-dock.

In order to fix this, I reversed the process by removing ALL cairo-dock spawns, then telling it to save settings. This gave me a desktop with zero docks. From there, I went into xfce4-settings-manager (ALT+F2) and then made sure that cairo-dock was added to the auto-start list. This seems to have stopped all the spawning.
    ================================================== ==================================================
    Hey all,

Long time since I've asked for help, but switching Distros makes me feel like a noob again.

I've stepped away from Ubuntu and switched over to Xubuntu and have been quite pleased with everything - except for one major bug that I cannot seem to find any information about at all on the Internet, nor can I figure out on my own.

What's been done:

Fresh install Xubuntu 11.10
    Removal of lower panel and hiding of upper panel.
    Installation of Cairo-dock.
    Installation of Cairo-dock addons.

What's resulted:

Everything works.
    Occasionally opening Firefox and going to a new page will drop me completely out of my x-session and back to login. (I suspect it's drivers and will be verifying that later). EDIT: I have also noticed that performing a killall cairo-dock && cairo-dock will also cause the desktop to login screen crash.
    Cairo-dock spawns 3 copies of itself - one on top of the other.

It's that last part that bothers me, I'm not really keen on killing 3 spawns of 1 program that I want to keep, every single time I log in.

Any ideas of what might have caused it, or where to look? Might there be a configuration file somewhere that just simply has cairo-dock listed 4 times or something?

Any and all help would be, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ghost|BTFH
    Last edited by Ghost|BTFH; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Updated issue.
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Cairo-dock duplicate docks???

I have experienced that 3 instance problem before.

Solved by removing the autostart entry for Cairo-dock (that's one instance) and disabling saved sessions (that's another). Which leaves one. I don't know where that entry is specified but that's OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have not used Cairo / GLX dock for a while , but had similar problem and I solved it by deleting the configuration file and starting over .

Reinstalling won't work because the dock will just use the old configuration until it is removed . As I wrote it has been a while , but I think the folder is in home .hidden folders .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yeah, I checked out the .hidden folders in ~/home and couldn't find a bloody thing.

So my solution of removing them all, saving and then telling it to start up cairo-dock at start seemed to fix everything and resolved the crashes too...
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...