Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth doesn't pick up devices

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bluetooth doesn't pick up devices

Great work trying to get bluetooth to work. Keep up the good work!

Beans

Are you able to detect and pair BT devices on your Zbook?

Beans

The patch works OK, I've been able to pair with my Nexus S phone and use obexftp and tethering.

Great work. Does anybody know if this patch is going to make it for 3.2 ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kebabroyal View Post
    The patch works OK, I've been able to pair with my Nexus S phone and use obexftp and tethering.

Great work. Does anybody know if this patch is going to make it for 3.2 ?
    I have just patched a 3.2 kernel and I am currently compiling it.
    I will let you know if it works.
    You can't apply the diffs directly on the 3.2 sources since they don't come from the same trunK.

What I did, is that I opened ath3K.c and btusb.c in VI and corrected the lines by hand.

Theorically it should work since it works the same way (making the driver binding the right hex address).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wim.glenn View Post
    Hi there, I'd love to get Bluetooth working properly on my zenbook UX31E , but patching the kernel and stuff sounds like something I could screw up majorly - I've only been using linux for <1 year. Could someone post a bit more idiot-proof instructions on how to do it pretty please?

p.s., my kernel version seems to be 3.0.0 , does that mean I can't use this fix (because patches are against 3.1.1)?

wim@wim-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ uname -a
    Linux wim-ubuntu 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Hi, I had the same problem as you had, and I was also afraid of doing something stupid.
    Then I googled some stuff about kernel compiling and tried it out. Miraculously, it actually worked (at least, these past 5 minutes I haven't had any issues ... xD). So I might actually help you (if you still need it - if not, someone else might stumble upon this thread some day, as I did).

Now, I want to emphasize that I'm not taking any responsibility if anything goes wrong, so make sure to backup everything before trying. I also do not use Ubuntu itself, but Linux Mint (which is based on Ubuntu). This shouldn't matter, though.

I basically followed this post, by and large, but made the job somewhat simpler for myself by not using git and by using the main flavour ("generic"), instead of a custom named one.

So here's the deal:
    1. You'll need some tools to compile, I'm not sure if all of these are necessary, but here you go:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    apt-get install fakeroot build-essential
    apt-get install crash kexec-tools makedumpfile kernel-wedge
    apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)
    apt-get install git libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libnewt-dev
    exit
    2. Create some directory somewhere where you'd like to store the source files you'll want to compile, I'm calling it "kernel". Cd into that directory and get the kernel sources via git. (There's also other ways to get the source, but I haven't tested these.)
    Code:
    git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-oneiric.git  source
    This downloads the sources from the official repository into a subfolder named "source" (or whatever you like). Again, cd into it.
    (This is all assuming you need the Oneiric kernel, which is (I think) 3.0.0.14 - if not, you might have to try to get your sources elsewhere.)

3. Now, before compiling the source, you'll have to actually make the relevant changes. It's in two files (courtesy of the guy who figured this out)
    - First edit the file drivers/bluetooth/ath3k.c:
    Find the section beginning with
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id ath3k_table[] = {
    In this section, you should see two lines that look like this:
    Code:
    /* Atheros AR3012 with sflash firmware*/
    { USB_DEVICE(0x0CF3, 0x3004) },
    Add this following new line directly below:
    Code:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x13d3, 0x3375) },
    Then, in the same file, look for the section beginning with:
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id ath3k_blist_tbl[] = {
    There should be two lines that read like this:
    Code:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x0cf3, 0x3004), .driver_info = BTUSB_ATH3012 },
    Again, add this line directly below:
    Code:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x13d3, 0x3375), .driver_info = BTUSB_ATH3012 },
    Save the file and exit.
    - Now, open the file drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c. Here you'll have to make only one change. Look out for the section starting with:
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id blacklist_table[] = {
    Here find the lines that say:
    Code:
    /* Atheros 3012 with sflash firmware */
    Add the following directly below:
    Code:
    Again, save and exit.

You should now have made three insertions in two files that make sure the kernel recognizes the correct bluetooth device.
    Before proceeding, check that you've made no mistakes here, of course.

3. Now you'll actually have to compile the source. This takes four commands (I think the first one is not necessary, but I'm not sure as I'm no expert in these matters, so since it doesn't hurt, just execute it anyway):
    Code:
    fakeroot debian/rules clean
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-indep
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-perarch
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-generic
    The last command takes very long (perhaps 1 hour or more) to execute even on a fast processor, so be prepared.
    (If you've followed the post I linked to more closely and have created a custom flavour instead of modifying "generic" directly (I have no idea how you'd do so, though), the last command changes of course to "... binary-yourflavour")

4. When all that is done, the compiled kernel packages will be in the parent folder (the one above "source", that I called "kernel"). So make a "cd .." and install:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.0.0-14-generic_3.0.0-14.23_amd64.deb linux-headers-3.0.0-14_3.0.0-14.23_all.deb linux-image-3.0.0-14-generic_3.0.0-14.23_amd64.deb
    (If you have another kernel version, you'll need to adjust the file names.)

5. Just for safety, update grub:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    6. Now, reboot, and if you're as lucky as I am, nothing has changed except that your bluetooth device will now be recognized!

I'm sorry if I explained that perhaps too abundantly for some, but I'd best make sure, I would have appreciated such a detailed tutorial.

Regards,
    Fryie

Beans

Hi i tested this with kernel 3.2 rc7 and it works
    my mouse is now recognized

thanks

i'm hopping that patch makes it soon in mainstream packages

Beans

I followed Fryie's post step by step, changing just the way to get the source (I got it using apt-get, instead of git), and it worked perfectly!

Great job! Thanks a lot!

Code:
    apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fryie View Post
    Hi, I had the same problem as you had, and I was also afraid of doing something stupid.
    Then I googled some stuff about kernel compiling and tried it out. Miraculously, it actually worked (at least, these past 5 minutes I haven't had any issues ... xD). So I might actually help you (if you still need it - if not, someone else might stumble upon this thread some day, as I did).

Now, I want to emphasize that I'm not taking any responsibility if anything goes wrong, so make sure to backup everything before trying. I also do not use Ubuntu itself, but Linux Mint (which is based on Ubuntu). This shouldn't matter, though.

I basically followed this post, by and large, but made the job somewhat simpler for myself by not using git and by using the main flavour ("generic"), instead of a custom named one.

So here's the deal:
    1. You'll need some tools to compile, I'm not sure if all of these are necessary, but here you go:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    apt-get install fakeroot build-essential
    apt-get install crash kexec-tools makedumpfile kernel-wedge
    apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)
    apt-get install git libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libnewt-dev
    exit
    2. Create some directory somewhere where you'd like to store the source files you'll want to compile, I'm calling it "kernel". Cd into that directory and get the kernel sources via git. (There's also other ways to get the source, but I haven't tested these.)
    Code:
    git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-oneiric.git  source
    This downloads the sources from the official repository into a subfolder named "source" (or whatever you like). Again, cd into it.
    (This is all assuming you need the Oneiric kernel, which is (I think) 3.0.0.14 - if not, you might have to try to get your sources elsewhere.)

3. Now, before compiling the source, you'll have to actually make the relevant changes. It's in two files (courtesy of the guy who figured this out)
    - First edit the file drivers/bluetooth/ath3k.c:
    Find the section beginning with
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id ath3k_table[] = {
    In this section, you should see two lines that look like this:
    Code:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x0CF3, 0x3004) },
    Add this following new line directly below:
    Code:
    { USB_DEVICE(0x13d3, 0x3375) },
    Then, in the same file, look for the section beginning with:
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id ath3k_blist_tbl[] = {
    There should be two lines that read like this:
    Code:
    Again, add this line directly below:
    Code:
    Save the file and exit.
    - Now, open the file drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c. Here you'll have to make only one change. Look out for the section starting with:
    Code:
    static struct usb_device_id blacklist_table[] = {
    Here find the lines that say:
    Code:
    /* Atheros 3012 with sflash firmware */
    Add the following directly below:
    Code:
    Again, save and exit.

You should now have made three insertions in two files that make sure the kernel recognizes the correct bluetooth device.
    Before proceeding, check that you've made no mistakes here, of course.

3. Now you'll actually have to compile the source. This takes four commands (I think the first one is not necessary, but I'm not sure as I'm no expert in these matters, so since it doesn't hurt, just execute it anyway):
    Code:
    fakeroot debian/rules clean
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-indep
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-perarch
    skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-generic
    The last command takes very long (perhaps 1 hour or more) to execute even on a fast processor, so be prepared.
    (If you've followed the post I linked to more closely and have created a custom flavour instead of modifying "generic" directly (I have no idea how you'd do so, though), the last command changes of course to "... binary-yourflavour")

4. When all that is done, the compiled kernel packages will be in the parent folder (the one above "source", that I called "kernel"). So make a "cd .." and install:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.0.0-14-generic_3.0.0-14.23_amd64.deb linux-headers-3.0.0-14_3.0.0-14.23_all.deb linux-image-3.0.0-14-generic_3.0.0-14.23_amd64.deb
    (If you have another kernel version, you'll need to adjust the file names.)

5. Just for safety, update grub:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    6. Now, reboot, and if you're as lucky as I am, nothing has changed except that your bluetooth device will now be recognized!

I'm sorry if I explained that perhaps too abundantly for some, but I'd best make sure, I would have appreciated such a detailed tutorial.

Regards,
    Fryie
    Tried to do the trick on Debian but no luck. The bluetooth icon does not appear any longer and hcitool keep telling " device not available"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the help, I do run in a problem though. In the "skipabi=true skipmodule=true fakeroot debian/rules binary-generic" step, after half an hour or so it stops with the following:
    Code:
    make: *** [install-generic] Error 1
    Unfortunately I closed terminal too early so I cannot tell you what was the last output before. I will try it again, but if anyone knows what might cause in the meanwhile I'd be very happy to hear.

UPDATE:
    I did the simplest fix possible, just restarted all over again and now I do have bluetooth.One problem now is that I don't have sound anymore. Whether this was caused by the new kernel, I don't know. The audio device does come up in lspci, but on the hardware tab in sound settings there is nothing. Did anyone else have this problem?

UPDATE 2:
    A new day, and now bluetooth has stopped working again. I've done no updates whatsoever.
    Last edited by HandleWithCare; January 21st, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Beans

For Debian users, I was finally successful il getting the Bluetooth working !
    I have compiled a 3.2-rc7 and patched it the way indicated in this thread.
    I have then installed the following package :
    firmware-atheros

It all works ! I don't use the final 3.2.1 since it drains the battery much faster.
    Last edited by moulip; January 22nd, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast