Thread: Bluetooth doesn't pick up devices

Beans

Re: Bluetooth doesn't pick up devices

http://uploading.com/files/m33ddffa/AtherosBt.rar/

Please let us know if it worked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by renselu View Post
    Unfortunately, it didn't. I get the same error (Bluetooth: Error in firmware loading err = -110,len = 0,size = 4096) that I'm getting with any other firmware.
    Perhaps a different approach is needed for this module.

Beans

I'd like to test the hypothesis that this is, indeed, a firmware-related problem.
    When Bluetooth is enabled on Windows and you boot into Linux, does Bluetooth work then?

Beans

To follow up, I've been able to get Bluetooth working.
    The key piece of information is that the Bluetooth module is using the Atheros AR3012.

Currently there is one other device, documented in the kernel, that does this - usb id 0cf3:3004.

To get bluetooth working on the UX31, you have to get the bluetooth modules (ath3k, btusb) to treat it the same as the one mentioned above. This is done by editing btusb.c and ath3k.c and duplicating the lines related to mentioned device. The ath3k module is only needed to load the firmware - so the firmware files should exist under /lib/firmware/ar3k.

To get it working, apply the attached patches to ath3k.c, btusb.c under <kernel_source>/drivers/bluetooth, recompile and install the new modules (patches are against 3.1.1).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erandom; November 23rd, 2011 at 12:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by erandom View Post
    The key piece of information is that the Bluetooth module is using the Atheros AR3012.

Currently there is one other device, documented in the kernel, that does this - usb id 0cf3:3004.

To get bluetooth working on the UX31, you have to get the bluetooth modules (ath3k, btusb) to treat it the same as the one mentioned above. This is done by editing btusb.c and ath3k.c and duplicating the lines related to mentioned device. The ath3k module is only needed to load the firmware - so the firmware files should exist under /lib/firmware/ar3k.

To get it working, apply the attached patches to ath3k.c, btusb.c under <kernel_source>/drivers/bluetooth, recompile and install the new modules (patches are against 3.1.1).
    Has this been submitted to the upstream kernel developper responsible for that driver?
    So we could hope to get this in the next release...

Beans

Great work!

Actually, I think fastest/best would probably be to send it to the LKML.

Just create a combined or two separate patches with diff -up, attach to a mail to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org containing a subject that starts with [PATCH].

I submitted a patch like this in 2009 and it got picked up by the tree maintainer immediately: https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/23/189

Beans

I've submitted a patch upstream, you can track progress here:
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.kernel/18801

Beans

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome work on this.
    http://owened.net/ | I use: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mythbuntu 10.04 LTS, Solaris 11, Mikrotik 5, Windows 7 64-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erandom View Post

This might be a dumb question, but I do not have the files you mention under /drivers/bluetooth - how do I get them?

I have been Googling for 30 minutes.
    http://owened.net/ | I use: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mythbuntu 10.04 LTS, Solaris 11, Mikrotik 5, Windows 7 64-bit

Beans

Hi there, I'd love to get Bluetooth working properly on my zenbook UX31E , but patching the kernel and stuff sounds like something I could screw up majorly - I've only been using linux for <1 year. Could someone post a bit more idiot-proof instructions on how to do it pretty please?

p.s., my kernel version seems to be 3.0.0 , does that mean I can't use this fix (because patches are against 3.1.1)?

wim@wim-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ uname -a
    Linux wim-ubuntu 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by wim.glenn; December 19th, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast