Thread: Opening Apps

Opening Apps

Hi all

I just updated to 11.10 and I have to ask...have I got a problem with my system or is this how it in meant to work?

I have found that if I go into the dashboard, then into "More Apps" I can find most of my applications... However if I click on them most will not open...To start them I have to drag them from that list into the side bar, then when I click on them they will work...

Surely this is not how you are meant to open a app?

Even if they were to open when I clicked on them in More Apps it is still a very long winded way to get to them.... You end up clicking about five times just to open one app...

Re: Opening Apps

Hi

So is this the way it is meant to work...i mean having to drag icons into the side bar to start a program

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benlyboy View Post
    Hi all

I just updated to 11.10 and I have to ask...have I got a problem with my system or is this how it in meant to work?

I have found that if I go into the dashboard, then into "More Apps" I can find most of my applications... However if I click on them most will not open...To start them I have to drag them from that list into the side bar, then when I click on them they will work...

Surely this is not how you are meant to open a app?

Even if they were to open when I clicked on them in More Apps it is still a very long winded way to get to them.... You end up clicking about five times just to open one app...
    you can type the app into the search bar from dash, you dont have to click down multiple times, and the most frequently used apps you drag to your dock.

When you say you click on them and "most" will not open, what are the ones that dont and what are the ones that do ?

You should be able to click on any installed app and it should run
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

As you haqing pointed out the applications should open from the list in dash as well as by typing them . If this continues run the following command in the terminal.
    Code:
    unity --reset-icons
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

ok I'm away from my system, but I do know that these tool will not open unless I drag them into the side bar

startup manager
    update manager
    main menu
    network connections

As I sit here and think about it, it seem like it is mainly took that won't open, but I will have to head home and look to be sure.

I'm not a great fan of typing in name a I tend to forget the exact name, but that's just me...

Thanks for the reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benlyboy View Post
    ok I'm away from my system, but I do know that these tool will not open unless I drag them into the side bar

startup manager
    update manager
    main menu
    network connections

As I sit here and think about it, it seem like it is mainly took that won't open, but I will have to head home and look to be sure.

I'm not a great fan of typing in name a I tend to forget the exact name, but that's just me...

Thanks for the reply
    the first 2 i imagine you mean startup applications, and update manager can be accessed by clicking the cog up in the right hand corner, though this doesnt solve your issue but good to know they are someone else if you dont like clicking to get to them etc.

They should work as described.

try the unity --reset-icons as suggested and see how you get on.

peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Hi

Ok home at last...

I tried the command above.
    It didn't seem to help but never mind as the info about two of the programs being in the start list was great I hadn't notice that.
    I also tried typing in the program I was looking for, and it really works well.
    Things have improved since I last tried use that kinda feature. I was impressed that I could type "photo" to find Gimp, or Text to find my text editor. Being that I often forget the actual name of programs I like this.

Funny that the icons that pop up when you type a search work ok, but the ones in the lists don't...

One other thing I like is the search will find my wine program which don't show up in the lists any longer which is nice..

thank for the help