Thread: ZSNES crashes whole system

Beans

ZSNES crashes whole system

Hi! I'm VERY new to Linux. So I'll do my best to give you as much info as I can.

I re-purposed an old Dell Optiplex G620 to be my entertainment PC.
    I installed Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty?) to a 32GB SSD
    And I'm using a 2TB WD Caviar Black to fill up with torrented movies and tv shows.
    On my 32GB SSD, I have all the OS and other apps I've installed like ZSNES.
    All this hooks up to my TV via a basic VGA cable.

The Problem:
    After playing any rom on ZSNES after some seemingly random amount of time, ZSNES will freeze along with the entire system.
    The only way to recover is to turn the pc off with the power button on the rig.
    It doesn't seem to matter what rom I'm running and I haven't timed it, but ZSNES will run smoothly for about 30 minutes to an hour before freezing.
    I'm using ZSNES with an actual SNES controller via a USB adapter (if that helps).

Any help? If you need more info, please give me details about how to obtain said info and I'll respond as quickly as I can.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: ZSNES crashes whole system

I would suggest that you'd try another emulator. Many people, including myself has problems with zsnes. It just hangs.
    I use mednafen, but not the one that is in ubuntus repos, that's like 10 years old!

Oh and usually, if you start programs from terminal, they print useful information and that may help you to solve the problem. However when zsnes hanged it didn't even print any errors. Then again it doesn't help if the entire system crashes. :/