Thread: fetch cdrom error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

fetch cdrom error

I'm not sure what this is telling me. Is this telling me that my cd rom isn't supported on my laptop?

I installed 11.04 64bit via the Windows installer and just a few days ago I upgraded to 11.10 64bit on my Acer Laptop 5742Z-4512

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release amd64 (20110427.1)/dists/natty/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release amd64 (20110427.1)/dists/natty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release amd64 (20110427.1)/dists/natty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release amd64 (20110427.1)/dists/natty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: fetch cdrom error

Software center's Sources selection may have the "Ubuntu Cdrom" checked as available? The .png picture does not show it checked, I don't want to confuse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hakunka-Matata; October 22nd, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    Software center's Sources selection may have the "Ubuntu Cdrom" checked as available? The .png picture does not show it checked, I don't want to confuse.

That box on the bottom that says Installable from CD-ROM/DVD is grayed out but going to the tab "Other Software" there is an item with a checked checkbox titled "Cdrom with Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal'"

I unchecked that and my error message went away and my optical drive still works.

Thanks a lot Hakunka-Matata

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning