Thread: Sensors or heating problem ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Sensors or heating problem ubuntu 11.10

I just installed ubuntu 11.10 using wubi. My machine is Sony Vaio VPCEB4S1E. But i have problem with heating or sensors. My CPU usage is normal, not overloaded, CPU is also scaled how it should be. Fan is working all the time and it's very loud.
    Any suggestions? Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sensors or heating problem ubuntu 11.10

http://vaio-utils.org/fan/

hopefully that helps

heres an ubuntugeek guide on setting it up

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-sil...-vaiofand.html
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Angry Re: Sensors or heating problem ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    http://vaio-utils.org/fan/

hopefully that helps

heres an ubuntugeek guide on setting it up

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-sil...-vaiofand.html

model lines known not to work: PCG-K, VGN-AR, VGN-BX, VGN-C, VGN-CR, VGN-CS, VGN-FE, VGN-FS, VGN-FW, VGN-FZ, VGN-NR, VGN-NW, VGN-SR, VGN-TT, VGN-Z, VPC-CW, VPC-EA, VPC-EB, VPC-F, VPC-M, VPC-SA, VPC-W, VPC-YA, plus apparently all the models currently manufactured

So sadly thats not the solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Aw, sorry buddy. I looked around a little more to see if i could find a relevant fan control alternative but no dice.. Keep looking, you'll find something. I'll post back on this thread if I do find anything closer.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Aw, sorry buddy. I looked around a little more to see if i could find a relevant fan control alternative but no dice.. Keep looking, you'll find something. I'll post back on this thread if I do find anything closer.
    Tnx mate! I really need to fix this issue, I need linux for my job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having a similar problem with my Vaio VGN-NW11S. vaiofand isn't an option for me either. I'd be very interested in a fix.

If I find one I'll post back here too.

Beans

This is my first and last VAIO ever! Good luck with search!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have a look over on Ultimate Edition Forums

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/index.php

I am not saying the answer is there but, the guys really know their stuff and may have an option for you with their alternative Linux version.

Those of us that use it love it. We have very little issues provided we have installed a version that our machines can handle.

The most of us are using version 2.9 based on Ubuntu 10.10 as this is the most stable at the moment. Ultimate edition users are just as eager as anyone to use the most up-to-date version of Linux but, most of us have the patience to wait for a well tested and stable version before moving on.
    Our people behind UE would appear to be very well jenned up and the next version (3.0) is promising to something rock solid in the Linux world.
    Most of us that use it also don't want to go down the road that Ubuntu in general is heading with the new interface and even Linus Torvalds has voiced his concern about the Unity interface.

However, I am getting away from your problem... I only ask that you post your problem on the UE forum and see what the guys might be able to advize. Perhaps try UE 2.9 to see how you get on. What have you got to loose?
    I have not installed a system like this before, it has virtually no problems accepting hardware providing you choose the version that suits your machine architecture. A lot of people are using version 2.6 because it is rock steady and obviously still good for older machines and have no desire to move away from it till the next big thing, version 3.0
    Good luck.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans

Hi There!

I have exactly the same problem.
    I have Sony VAIO E Series (VPCEB24EN).

I have very recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10
    My CPU fan is running loud all the time and the CPU gets heated up like a stove. It is so irritating, i feel like dropping the idea of switching to ubuntu (from windows 7).

Please let me know if anyone has the solution.

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Does this model of Vaio supports switchable graphics? If yes, try switching off discreet one.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

*In my case, GPU fan makes that noise. When I disable it, problem disappears.