Thread: Need navigation help with command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Need navigation help with command line.

Why does CD not always CD? I am in the Absolute Beginners thread for a reason. All I want to do is navigate to /home/mikebravo/Downloads and command the file there hplip-3.11.10.run I can get to mikebravo@linux:/home$ at which point ls -a says mikebravo exists and is a directory (it is blue) but I can not change to it for love or money.
    How am I going to run my printer plug in??

Thank you to all responders. Lets mark this one SOLVED. This is what worked for me: It just happens that after my original post I installed and booted into the Gnome Classic desktop. From there I decided to give it another try. There was NO problem, navigation on the command line went exactly as expected. Everything I did before, that did not work before, worked in the terminal under the Gnome Desktop!! Go figure. I would like someone to explain this. My opinion is not worth one cent more than the next guy but it is my opinion that someone should get Shuttleworth by the short hair and slap him around until he quit screwing things up every six months. Classic Gnome is now so crippled that I will have to use Unity whether I like it or not, and I don't. PS my printer is working again.
    Last edited by mikebravo; October 21st, 2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need navigation help with command line.

Use ls to list what is in the actual directory:
    Code:
    ls
    to see where you are run:
    Code:
    pwd
    to cd to directory without making spelling mistakes use the tab key for completion. For example:
    Code:
    ls
    Downloads/ Documents/

cd Dow<tab>
    The last command will convert in:
    Code:
    cd Downloads/
    In order to execute that script you need to see it with the 'ls' command. Then run it like this:
    Code:
    bash ./hplip-3.11.10.run
    Hope it helps, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Although Papibe's advice is good, it will ONLY work if your are in your $HOME directory...

Use:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    to get there from ANY directory. The difference is between absolute and relative paths.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mikebravo View Post
    Why does CD not always CD? I am in the Absolute Beginners thread for a reason. All I want to do is navigate to /home/mikebravo/Downloads and command the file there hplip-3.11.10.run I can get to mikebravo@linux:/home$ at which point ls -a says mikebravo exists and is a directory (it is blue) but I can not change to it for love or money.
    How am I going to run my printer plug in??
    First, when you tried to
    Code:
    cd /home/mikebrava/Downloads
    I hope you used lower case letters for cd. Second, go back to way you said that you can see the folder, and type this in a terminal
    Code:
    ls -l
    to check your file permission. If you don't have permission, it will have to be changed, so that you can change into that directory.

I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by dcsoldschool53; October 21st, 2011 at 02:23 AM.