Thread: Should I use "apt-get update" before installing ubuntu-suggested updates?

Beans

Should I use "apt-get update" before installing ubuntu-suggested updates?

I use ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Just after installation, I got a message from ubuntu asking me to download and install some packages (security related and others). (These suggestions are also available from system>administration>update manager) I did that but before that I have not used the command "sudo apt-get update". Did I make any mistake? In case I did, is there any way to rectify?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Should I use "apt-get update" before installing ubuntu-suggested updates?

Just to make certain the "sudo apt-get update" command just refreshes the repos in your system to make sure that everything that can be upgraded is included. The command does exactly the same as hitting the Refresh button in synaptic or the Check button in the update manager.

If you don't refresh manually that way, the system will check automatically each day, by default and notify you with the update notification, so you will normally only be one day behind at most.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo