Page 1 of 195 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Hello everyone!

I have been looking at the new asus zenbook 13.3" model (ux31) and i would like to run ubuntu on it.

I am not an experienced ubuntu user, I started using it at school and have come to like alot.

The question I have is if anyone know if ubuntu will run on the zenbook. I have been trying to find out in more detail what hardware the zenbook use but I haven't found anything.
    The only specification I have been able to find is in the link below.
    http://zenbook.asus.com/product/?c=spec

Also, I was wondering about the standby features of ubuntu. The zenbook is able to be up and runing only 2 seconds after waking it from hibernation, but that is when windows is installed. Does anyone know if this 2-second-running is a feature of the zenbook, windows or both? Again, I have been trying to find information about this but haven't really found anything.

What do you guys think? Will ubuntu run on the zenbook and if so, will it be able to utalize the fast wakeup feature?

Thanks in advance!

/Haso

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

I installed 11.10 on an X31 Zenbook. I have had problems with the touchpad that are yet unresolved (thread in Hardware and Laptops, re: Sentelic etc).

This may sound minor, but it prevents efficient use of not only the pad but also the keyboard (it has taken me about 15 minutes just to type this.)

I will have to go back to Windows 7 if a resolution isn't found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

what is the hardware on that? can you do a lspci and paste the output form terminal?

Beans

Thanks for the reply! Have you been able to test the hibernation feature?

Beans

tom@Zen:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation QS67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 USB Controller: Fresco Logic Device 1009 (rev 02)
    tom@Zen:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Multitouch is broken, but, more importantly, sleep is totally broken.

Going to sleep will basically kill the laptop, you'll have to shutdown by holding down the power key.
    And on battery, it seems to be running at full power for some reason and randomly change the brightness from time to time.
    Finally, after switching to the external screen by mistake, I couldn't bring the screen back, I had to shutdown.

There are probably a few other quirks...
    (oh, the external USB Ethernet doesn't seem to work by default either but that's external, so not exactly directly related even though it's bundled with the laptop).

Other than that, it's a sweet little machine though, I can't wait for it to be well supported!

Beans

I'm trying to install ubuntu on my UX31, but after moving through grub, the screen blanks. I let it run for ~5-6ish minutes before giving up on it.

Did you experience this problem?
    Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AustinGibbons View Post
    I'm trying to install ubuntu on my UX31, but after moving through grub, the screen blanks. I let it run for ~5-6ish minutes before giving up on it.

Any suggestions?
    Uhm not with the Oneric 64-bit ISO copied on a USB key using dd(1) and BIOS 206.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AustinGibbons View Post

Any suggestions?
    Exactly where did you run into a problem? After installing? Are you trying to install from a USB stick, or a CD?

Beans

I just installed 11.10 32 bit on a UX31 and am having problems with the suspend/hibernate. They don't work, as described by RR123RR.

I did some googling and tried a few things, but no joy so far.

So, if anyone figures this out, I'd love to hear about it

Page 1 of 195 1231151101 ... LastLast