Page 92 of 195 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    I'm thinking about buying this ultrabook, can anyone give me a quick summary? Will it work out of the box with 10.04 (yes, I want that version) or in never Ubuntu versions?

What battery times do you get?
    See the Wiki for a summary of issues. There has not been much discussion in this thread regarding older versions of Ubuntu. Very new kernels are essential to fixing many problems. Battery life reported here averages around 4 hours.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Running the pre-rolled kernel from http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/eugeni/rc6/

Vt-d enabled
    grub entries i915.powersave=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 elevator=noop quiet splash
    dsdt.aml loaded at via grub

So far 4 hours of downloading iso's and video streaming, multiple tabs open (24x) in chrome browser. No hick ups so far or hard shut downs. Have had it on AC as well as battery no issues either way so far. Battery life seems very reasonable based on the usage but as I stated working off both AC and battery.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    See the Wiki for a summary of issues. There has not been much discussion in this thread regarding older versions of Ubuntu. Very new kernels are essential to fixing many problems. Battery life reported here averages around 4 hours.
    Just four hours? :/ That's not really what I expected from such an expensive ultrabook...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    Just four hours? :/ That's not really what I expected from such an expensive ultrabook...
    Of course it depends what you're doing, and what kernel parameters you set. I just don't want to give you false hopes. If you require stability, you get very few hours. If you set kernel parameters and tweak power settings, minimize the screen brightness and do simple tasks you can expect 6+. Some report 8 hours. I don't have a list of the posts, but this is the feeling I get, and is my own experience. Try the "Search this thread" tool and search for "hours." You'll see that 5-6 is reasonable, but this is under weak load.

Beans

Agreed, and that 4 hours is only if one spends time googling and tweaking.

Hopefully, before the netbook becomes obsolete, they'll get it sorted. On the bright side, my netbook, an Asus 1000HE, gets as good, or better, battery life than with Windows.

Beans

I'm using http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/eugeni/rc6/ as well. Ran intense physics simulations on it for hours with no shutdowns. Battery life is lacking though... I would say about 4 hours...

EDIT: Just had a horrible kernel panic. Did not shutdown though. I was simply writing emails and working on a Dropbox folder...
    Last edited by A33; February 14th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fenski View Post
    Thanks.

I'm going to build 3.3-rc3 with Sentelic patch, fixed DSDT, and Dodonov's patch, BT patch and run it without deep/deepest as a start point.
    I think you should try that without the fixed DSDT but with Eugeni Dodonov's patch. So you can test the shallow RC6 in combination with a standard setup and report the result to Eugeni.

I don't have time right now to do so, but I guess that would be useful (and that would increase the chance this patch end up in 3.2 for precise).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I had a sudden shutdown earlier while running the newly patched eugeni kernel with rc6=3. It occurred right after I removed the USB ethernet adapter from the USB3 port. My BIOS version is 210, and I am not using the modified DSDT.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maccam94 View Post
    I had a sudden shutdown earlier while running the newly patched eugeni kernel with rc6=3. It occurred right after I removed the USB ethernet adapter from the USB3 port. My BIOS version is 210, and I am not using the modified DSDT.
    I thought rc6=3 is discouraged - only there for experimentation. Perhaps getting it going with rc6=1 is a more reasonable goal?

Beans

I wonder what was the default without this patch?
    What rc6=1 meant before splitting it out to three stages?

If previous rc6=1 is equal to current rc6=1 + deep + deepest, then testing rc6=7 is useless cause that's setting we know is unstable.

But looking at the patch seems that by default rc6 options were different and depends on chipset.

Page 92 of 195 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast