Page 87 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Is anyone else having trouble with UX31 and LibreOffice? I get hard freezes where box is completely unreachable through ssh and even cursor freezes. It's so bad that most of the time LO won't be able to recover the document and file is completely corrupt causing massive losses. Occurs mainly when copy/pasting things in either calc or writer or copying from calc to writer. This is a very big drawback for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tjajab View Post
    For me, all sudden shutdowns has come as an immediate reply on some physical input given (i.e. press a key on the keyboard, click the mouse, or as yesterday, changing display brightness with the hardware buttons). Have anyone had a shutdown under other circumstances?
    Yes, I often had this sudden shutdowns without logs while compiling the kernel. I completely let the system alone without touches. From one to another second the error occurs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fast-rs View Post
    Yes, I often had this sudden shutdowns without logs while compiling the kernel. I completely let the system alone without touches. From one to another second the error occurs.
    Interesting, I never had a shutdown while compiling the kernel (which is pretty heavy load) but when watching Youtube videos (mostly freezes, not BAM!-shutdowns) or browsing, and none while the system was idle.

Since RC6 is a power saving feature, I would expect it to happen under slight or no load. On the other hand, it's a feature of the graphics device, so it could have nothing to do with CPU load.

Beans

New UX31E BIOS update 211 available:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...px?model=UX31E

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scarleo View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble with UX31 and LibreOffice? I get hard freezes where box is completely unreachable through ssh and even cursor freezes. It's so bad that most of the time LO won't be able to recover the document and file is completely corrupt causing massive losses. Occurs mainly when copy/pasting things in either calc or writer or copying from calc to writer. This is a very big drawback for me.
    Same problem here. Yesterday I had some freezes as you, cursor and keyworad lights not responding at all. I was using Calc, lots of copy & paste. Before using Calc everything was perfectly stable, no freezes at all.

My config was BIOS 210 + vtD enabled + no rc6 + no semaphores + mainline kernel 3.2

I did not apply the power saving tunes in the wiki because I prefer stability better than consume. No luck this time.

I have just installed BIOS 211. Let's see if this helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just a friendly reminder but if you update the BIOS then the modified DSDT kernel will not work. I would expect bad things to happen. Might be interesting. Like dividing by zero.

Beans

Thanks for the tip. Although I have a UX21 I probably wouldn't have thought of that when the next BIOS update comes.

Beans

Caution: Bios upgrade via NTFS formated media can or will brick your zenbook

I searched for a changelog of the bios version 211. The "VGA Bios Updated" part sounds interesting...
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...l#post18372910

By this way I found a (often repeated) note for updates, which I can not find anywhere here in the thread: You can brick your zenbook by upgrading the bios from a USB media formated with NTFS! I think this is important for people with multi os booting.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...notebooks.html

Beans

Judging by the output of iasl, the DSDT tables in BIOS versions 210 and 211 differ only in the version number.

I hope the rest of changes in the BIOS mean business!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    Just a friendly reminder but if you update the BIOS then the modified DSDT kernel will not work. I would expect bad things to happen. Might be interesting. Like dividing by zero.
    Also a gentle reminder (and an attempt to verify the current situation).

Your BIOS setting for vtD will be reset after you update the BIOS. For some (all?) kernels this needs to be turned off.

Page 87 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast