Page 86 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

one notice about shutdowns, I am using since beginning kubuntu 12.04 and upgrade almost every day, after installing wurkwith.us kernel there have been couple kernel updates from ubuntu.
    I did forgot that I have manually set default kernel to reboot 2 and it should been 3.2.0-12-ux31, but last night after dist-upgrading kernel was 3.2.0-14 and it has been gone to default in reboot. not manually installed ux31 version

so my point is I was using 4-5 day ubuntus default kernel without shutdowns !

edit: mainline kernel 3.3rc3 is released this morning
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3-rc3-precise/
    Last edited by pumo; February 9th, 2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sentelic touchpad:
    According to https://github.com/saaros/sentelic/issues/3 there is a complete rewrite of the driver (or at least in progress) and sending the patch upstream is planned.
    (For building as a module, the Makefile is currently missing: https://github.com/saaros/sentelic/issues/2)

Elantech touchpad:
    Are there also patches? The script with custom settings applied via synclient is a good solution, I think. Probably everyone likes different settings.

Bluetooth: the patch with new device ids shouldn't be a problem to get upstream... there's no danger of regressions.

Sleep issues: To avoid the current script, we'd have to develop a real patch against the USB driver (ehci_hcd), that of course hasn't any negative effect on other systems. I don't know whether that's possible. But the current solution (unbind/bind via script) works and is very easy, so it's not top-priority.

This warning on the wiki page:
    If this workaround not used, memory controller setting will be screwed. After not correct suspend, many memory blocks starting with ~1G will be corrupt. Good way to see it is to use "memtest86+". Only way to fix controller setting is to open the case and plug off battery. If you start Windows or Linux with corrupted controller, you will get system crashes or/and damaged file system.
    It has been asked before, but I don't remember an answer: Does anyone have more information?
    I tried to suspend my system at the beginning without the workaround, and it caused no problems (other than that it didn't work, of course).

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

I've read about problems with bluetooth many times now, which models are affected by these, only UX31 or UX21 as well?
    I'm asking because I don't use bluetooth but with the fresh install, bluetooth was shown to be turned on, by NetworkManager I guess.

Beans

Red face Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Found on the wiki I have not seen any info on this warning before. I haven't seen anything in the forum on this. Can anyone confirm this is accurate, my experience prior to adding the scripts does not support this warning.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...own_and_Reboot

Sleep,hibernate Scripts

If this workaround not used, memory controller setting will be screwed. After not correct suspend, many memory blocks starting with ~1G will be corrupt. Good way to see it is to use "memtest86+". Only way to fix controller setting is to open the case and plug off battery. If you start Windows or Linux with corrupted controller, you will get system crashes or/and damaged file system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
    I haven't seen anything in the forum on this.
    This is a long thread, but just 2 posts above yours this exact question was asked. And I asked the same question 1 day ago.

I don't believe the person who made that change to the Wiki is (actively) involved in this thread, since (to my knowledge) nobody has reported corrupt memory in this thread.

Beans

Just emailed the person responsible for the wiki edit warning. He references the following bug:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42728

Beans

@xheyther: The problem with Fn+Vol Mute, Up, Down and Touchpad disable not working is solved for me with kernel 3.3-rc3 (with fixed DSDT).

Beans

A very long shot: Has anyone had a crash with rc6 enabled but with the card reader disabled? I (tried to) blacklist rts5139 a couple of days ago and haven't had a crash since but I also haven't used my computer very much, only a couple of hours per day. Linux kernel 3.2.1.

Update: And now I had a crash. So it seems related to writing about the issue here at ubuntuforums... :-/
    Last edited by tjajab; February 9th, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Had a contradicting experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Not a very interesting data point, but I had a random shutdown with the stock ubuntu 3.2.0-15 kernel with rc6 enabled while on battery power (right as I loaded a webpage).

Beans

For me, all sudden shutdowns has come as an immediate reply on some physical input given (i.e. press a key on the keyboard, click the mouse, or as yesterday, changing display brightness with the hardware buttons). Have anyone had a shutdown under other circumstances?

Page 86 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast