Page 79 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by aspettl View Post
    To everyone reporting sudden shutdowns:
    Do you always check the log files? Just to make sure that the sudden shutdowns are really "sudden" in the sense of "nothing is in the log files". An error in the asix ethernet module has been fixed (in 3.2.1) that caused crashes, but the ath9k module still seems to be problematic. At least I had several ath9k crashes so far and they're also reported regularly by other users.

I think there are several types of crashes and we should try to tell them apart. Even those crashes where nothing appears in the log could have different causes, and the fixed DSDT may fix only one of them. And maybe not everyone has all types of crashes (e.g. different usage pattern, slightly different hardware or kernel options, connected devices like external monitor)... That would explain the many different reports ranging from "crashing several times a day" over "only two times a week" to "none".

So, my request is, if you report a crash, please supply the following information (even if you mentioned it some posts before, it's hard to keep track ):
    • kernel (vanilla / Ubuntu patches / ..., exact version number)
    • kernel options
    • do you use the fixed DSDT?
    • is there something in the logs?
    • ath9k error in the logs: anything special like many connections, download running, weak signal, ...?
    • no error in the logs: external monitor connected (VGA or HDMI)?
    • running on battery or not?
    • and if possible: how often do you get a crash with this configuration? (makes only sense if you're using the laptop several hours a day...)

Regards
    Aaron
    These are all good points.

From my own experience, it is pretty simple to tell the difference between the two issues.

The atk9k problem products a kernel panic and the machine reverts to console mode and prints out the kernel panic.

The shutdown problem abruptly powers down the machine.

A quick summary of my understanding of where we stand is that:
    • shutdowns only occur when using the i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 kernel flags
    • every mainline kernel version that has been mentioned here, and shakabra's DSDT-patched kernel, have produced at least one shutdown
    • the ath9k kernel panic occurs more often in kernels above 3.2.1

I think it would be good to see if someone could contradict this summary - in that they have a kernel with the rc6 flags set and have never had a shutdown as described above, even if they have had a kernel-panic style halt.

But yes, it would certainly be good to get some more context to build up a better picture.
    Last edited by GodzillaMonster; February 5th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by PeterFeicht View Post
    Maybe it would be a good idea to open another thread only for crash reports, where all reports get collected.
    It would be easier to keep track this way...
    Good idea, maybe a Wiki page would be even better? Then it's easier to categorize and sort the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaMonster View Post
    The atk9k problem products a kernel panic and the machine reverts to console mode and prints out the kernel panic.
    It doesn't for me, I see the error only in the logs.

The shutdown problem abruptly powers down the machine.
    Besides the sudden shutdown I had also (few) shutdowns where the screen freezed for a short moment before the laptop powered down (I think only the mouse pointer could be moved). But now I can't remember if that was an ath9k issue (without switch to the console) or not...

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

Until these last posts I didn't even know there were different types of sudden shutdowns...

I've had maybe one kernel panic to this day, but I can't recall if this was with the UX21 or the eeepc.

The other shutdowns occurred all in X mode, none while I was at the console.
    They were all pretty similar, system froze and after one or two seconds (approximately) the system went down, occasionally with a black screen for about half a second or so before power of.

Also it didn't occur to me to look in the logs, but I will definitely do that for the next shutdowns...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aspettl View Post
    Good idea, maybe a Wiki page would be even better? Then it's easier to categorize and sort the reports.
    I can't help with that, since I have never edited the wiki before...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fenski View Post
    Back to the earth... just got sudden shutdown.
    Ironically, I just tried your page last night, and it worked well for me (save that power is still showing no more than 3-1/2 hours--I really am regretting that I didn't keep Windows on it to be sure it isn't the computer itself.

(Quick mild complaint about your page--for some reason, some of the quoted code, to be cut an pasted, didn't show up in my browser (chromium on CentOS and firefox on Ubuntu) unless I highlighted the text with mouse). Not sure why, but might be worth looking at with a couple of browsers. Despite this minor quibble, a very good and useful page in my opinion.)

Beans

Well, it doesn't for me, if this is the same problem. I get a panic report saying "BUG: soft lockup ... [kworker...]" in syslog, but the system never reverts to console but instead hangs in X where only the mouse movement still works.Everything else does not. The backtrace shows some ath9k routines but I wonder if this is the same ath9k problem you see?

I also noted that with Debian kernel 3.2.2 it is way worse than with 3.2.1.

Beans

I wonder if it was only mine laptop or is it reproductible. I had to download something and was told by friend to use JDownloader for this.

After installation of this software I had sudden shutdowns max 10 minutes after launching it.

Maybe someone could try to install JDownloader and confirm that it increases number of shutdowns drastically?

This could be good start point for someone trying to debug it.

This is only theory but I believe that highly multithreaded apps (like JDownloader) have impact on this bug.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by debianguy View Post
    Well, it doesn't for me, if this is the same problem. I get a panic report saying "BUG: soft lockup ... [kworker...]" in syslog, but the system never reverts to console but instead hangs in X where only the mouse movement still works.Everything else does not. The backtrace shows some ath9k routines but I wonder if this is the same ath9k problem you see?

I also noted that with Debian kernel 3.2.2 it is way worse than with 3.2.1.
    Understood. Though I still propose we have two classes of issues.

A) An involuntary shutdown that only occurs when rc6 is enabled and involves the machine's power (ie: the power light) going off within a few seconds without user intervention. There is nothing in the logs to indicate what happened.

B) Machine locks up or becomes unresponsive and has to be forced to turn off by holding the power button down. This one manifests visually by either reverting to console mode (from the graphical UI) and showing debug info. It usually leaves something in the logs related to issues with ath9k (the wifi device).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

HI guys,

I still haven't had a shutdown from rc6 while running with the modified DSDT from benesm1. By that I mean the swift-no-warning-BAM!-your-computers-dead type of shutdown.

I did just have ath9k type though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    HI guys,

I still haven't had a shutdown from rc6 while running with the modified DSDT from benesm1. By that I mean the swift-no-warning-BAM!-your-computers-dead type of shutdown.

I did just have ath9k type though.
    me neither, I am using http://wurkwith.us/kernel/ kernels with kubuntu 12.04 and upgrade every day.
    grub line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force quiet splash ipv6.disable=1"

have been using both on ac and battery, with hdmi monitor attached. and only in wifi connected.

Page 79 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast