Page 77 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaMonster View Post
    Perhaps an additional test would be for you to post your custom kernel so we can see if we get shutdowns with it.
    http://files.benesovi.eu/ux31e/kernel/

Monolithic, no Bluetooth, no SD-Card reader (too power hungry), no USB ethernet, Elantech touchpad, custom DSDT.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wulczer View Post
    Here's one of my dmesg outputs, with the custom DSDT.

I did some diffing between that and what you posted and there were only slight differences because of Bluetooth (I have it enabled), cpugroups and initrd support.

The only thing that might be remotely connected is a small difference in the SSDT offset (not that I really know what a SSDT is...).

Anyway, here goes.
    There is no point in enabling ASPM, because of:
    Feb 3 15:36:23 hella kernel: [ 0.261552] ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benesm1 View Post
    HOW-TO check, whether the kernel uses patched DSDT: dmesg should emit a warning concerning tainted kernel, otherwise you are using stock ASUS DSDT.
    I don't think this is necessarily true. When using grub to load the new dsdt the kernel should not notice that the dsdt is not the original version and this will not call itself tainted. At least that's how I understand it.

But you can see if the the dsdt was loaded by grub because it probably has a different compiler version and different addresses listed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benesm1 View Post
    There is no point in enabling ASPM, because of:
    Feb 3 15:36:23 hella kernel: [ 0.261552] ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
    Isn't the whole point of forcing PCIe ASPM to overwrite what FADT says?

Ever since I disabled IOMMU I've seen an awful lot of lockups. I guess I will remove it and also the ASPM force to see if that makes the system more stable.

Beans

I did use yesterday without shutdowns or kernelpanics, I am using wurkwith.us kernel 3.2.0-12-ux31_3.2.0-12.21_amd64
    light use, surfing and music listening.
    I forgot whole iommu so it isnt in grubline.

Beans

I'm running Arch and the 3.3rc1 kernel now for a week, without any freeze or shutdown for the past week. Before that I had a fair amount. I might note that since 3.3 is the famous ASPM fix release, this is also the kernel where I did not use the ASPM=off option anymore. As a matter of fact, my current grub line is completely empty. My battery life time is ~3 hours or a bit more.May be after some longer stability checks, I'll start switching on r6 options again to see when it breaks.

There seems to be one unrelated freeze left: When I'm using many network threads (e.g., multiple torrents), I sometimes get a kernel panic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs22 View Post
    I'm running Arch and the 3.3rc1 kernel now for a week, without any freeze or shutdown for the past week. Before that I had a fair amount. I might note that since 3.3 is the famous ASPM fix release, this is also the kernel where I did not use the ASPM=off option anymore. As a matter of fact, my current grub line is completely empty. My battery life time is ~3 hours or a bit more.May be after some longer stability checks, I'll start switching on r6 options again to see when it breaks.

There seems to be one unrelated freeze left: When I'm using many network threads (e.g., multiple torrents), I sometimes get a kernel panic.
    I had the network related kernel panic too under 3.3. I've reverted to 3.2.1 and have been better so far. I think benesm1 mentioned some changes to the ath9k code for newer kernels so perhaps there's some sort of regression there.

Beans

I wrote some tutorial on how to build kernel with support for Sentelic touchpads and DSDT fix. It should work in a copy&paste manner on Debian based distributions.

I tested it only on LinuxMint 12 (Lisa) thought.

http://fenski.pl/2012/02/quick-howto...-with-zenbook/

I hope it's going to be useful for someone

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fenski View Post
    I wrote some tutorial on how to build kernel with support for Sentelic touchpads and DSDT fix. It should work in a copy&paste manner on Debian based distributions.

I tested it only on LinuxMint 12 (Lisa) thought.

http://fenski.pl/2012/02/quick-howto...-with-zenbook/

I hope it's going to be useful for someone
    I'd love to know if this solves the shutdowns problem for you and if so, which versions of X libraries and what kernel command line are you using.

I compiled my kernel more or less identically (although it was 3.2.1) and still got a shutdown, so I'm hunting for hints

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Has anybody had a shutdown with WiFi powered off? Is there an alternative to ath9k?

Page 77 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast