Page 76 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by benesm1 View Post
    So it seems that you are using newer xorg-server, newer libdrm, identical mesa and maybe identical xf86-video-intel (don't know about the SNA).
    As a policy, I am trying to have as few keyworded (unstable) packages as possible and of course I am excercising full control over my packages build options and dependencies, which is exactly why I left Debian in the first place...
    Yeah, the versions look like they're nearly the same, I guess compiling mesa with LLVM doesn't change anything... Funny, I used to run Gentoo before switching to Debian.

So I guess I'll try recompiling the kernel with your exact .config and give it a try over the weekend. I sure wish the upstream devs could get their hands on a UX31 and reproduce it themselves.

Beans

I have shutdown occurred on battery .

Im using kernel by wurkwith.us/kernel and shakabra guide
    I`ve a UX31E I7 with elantech touch I7 version
    Power scripts by the wiki
    Elantech scripts by the wiki
    Suspend scripts...

And another question:
    Can anyone write a guide (by noobs = by me) step by step to compile and patch DSDT my own kernel. I would appreciate forever

regards,
    sircas.

Beans

I'm using the latest shakabra kernel on my UX31E.

I've had two lockups and one kernel panic this morning - the latter was due the the wireless driver, I think - I've had that before.

The lockups were both freezes in gnome-shell's overview - these are much rarer.

Statistically these are much much more frequent than before trying this kernel. However it could certainly be coincidence.

EDIT: Just had another "classic" shutdown. Shakabra kernel, on AC power, flags of "quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1" - that is four shutdowns today. Interestingly I was just fine for four days on the 3.3 kernel. So I think there is luck involved here and I'm not 100% convinced this issue is resolved as yet.
    Last edited by GodzillaMonster; February 3rd, 2012 at 06:19 AM.

Beans

I also had a hard shut down on fresh 11.10 install with latest shakabra kernel (UX31E)

Plugged into AC
    quiet splash i915.powersave=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 intel_iommu=off

Shut down occurred watching full screen 720P youtube video over wifi.
    Core temp right after I restarted approx 57°C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just FYI, I tried the technique for loading a dsdt file via grub. When I ran update-grub2 it appeared to do the right thing, and I can come pretty close to verifying that it loaded on reboot by the fact that the line in dmesg shows the iasl compiler version I used, rather than the version Asus seems to be using.

Code:
    [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT 000000003f9a89c0 1010D (v01 _ASUS_ Notebook 00000000 INTL 20100528)
    However, I still had an abrupt shutdown an hour or two later. Still using mainline kernel 3.2.1-03-02-01-generic, BIOS 210, vanilla ubuntu 11.10 and the usual suite of command line options everyone else is using here.

Beans

Can somebody post a dmesg output here? Ideally with and without the custom DSDT? By the way, I'm using neither Bluetooth nor USB Ethernet, but I was experiencing shutdowns nevertheless. Also, my UX31E has the Elantech touchpad. If i think of any other significant differences, I will post them here.

update: I had just kernel panic in ath9k, I was connected to 802.11n AP. Kernel version was 3.2.2. I will revert back to 3.2.1 and see how it goes. There were some changes in ath9k between those kernel versions.
    Last edited by benesm1; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

Beans

Can somebody post a dmesg output here? Ideally with and without the custom DSDT? By the way, I'm using neither Bluetooth nor USB Ethernet, but I was experiencing shutdowns nevertheless. Also, my UX31E has the Elantech touchpad. If i think of any other significant differences, I will post them here.
    Perhaps an additional test would be for you to post your custom kernel so we can see if we get shutdowns with it.

Beans

Here's one of my dmesg outputs, with the custom DSDT.

I did some diffing between that and what you posted and there were only slight differences because of Bluetooth (I have it enabled), cpugroups and initrd support.

The only thing that might be remotely connected is a small difference in the SSDT offset (not that I really know what a SSDT is...).

Anyway, here goes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

update: I had just kernel panic in ath9k, I was connected to 802.11n AP. Kernel version was 3.2.2. I will revert back to 3.2.1 and see how it goes. There were some changes in ath9k between those kernel versions.
    I had four of those yesterday.. one or two were from line 697 in ath9k.c, and I found matches on google where others have had this same kernel panic.

I have a feeling it manifests when the wi-fi signal is very low and you are significantly using the network - mine were during skype or, funnily enough, downloading a replacement kernel.

Interestingly, I had one of these using Shakabra's recent build ,which is 3.2.0-based (if the labelling of the kernel is correct).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaMonster View Post
    I had four of those yesterday.. one or two were from line 697 in ath9k.c, and I found matches on google where others have had this same kernel panic.

I have a feeling it manifests when the wi-fi signal is very low and you are significantly using the network - mine were during skype or, funnily enough, downloading a replacement kernel.

Interestingly, I had one of these using Shakabra's recent build ,which is 3.2.0-based (if the labelling of the kernel is correct).
    My panic occured in very close proximity to the AP, under a light network load.

Page 76 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast