Page 74 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

I built my own UX21 kernel (based off of Ubuntu 3.2.0-12) with the following modifications
    • benesm1's modified ux21 DSTD table (with Bios 209)
    • Bluetooth support added
    • Disabled IOMMU (I couldn't find an option for DMAR)
    • Some kernel options for non-existent hardware disabled

My idle power usage (with Wifi, Bluetooth, USB Ethernet) is around 8W.

I can confirm that VGA does work, and that I can still boot up a WinXP guest OS (using VirtualBox).
    Last edited by SorryGoFish; February 2nd, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Beans

Wow, great work shakabra!

I updated you newest kernel, I came from 3.2.2 mainline.
    bluetooth works fine, at least it founds devices.
    so testing this evening if it will shutdown.
    (I just got 3 shutdown in a week with 3.2.2 )

by the way is there need to put iommu=off into kernel line ?
    I am using now that same line what was in 3.2.2
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force quiet splash"

Code:
    ~# dmesg |grep DSDT
    [    0.000000] ACPI: Override [DSDT-Notebook], this is unsafe: tainting kernel
    [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT @ 0x00000000baf87018 Table override, replaced with:
    [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT ffffffff81c647e0 1013B (v01 _ASUS_ Notebook 00000000 INTL 20111123)
    [    0.430877] ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT
    edit: boottime isnt quite fast with 12.04 kubuntu
    39sek
    http://i42.tinypic.com/veu2k6.png
    Last edited by pumo; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: boottime

Beans

@SorryGoFish could you post a howto for us beginners? would love to build my own kernel!

Beans

benesm1, thank you so much for your work on the DSDT thing. I have not tried it yet, but thank you anyways
    Also thanks to everyone else contributing to this thread!

I'm going to compile the kernel this evening or tomorrow, but I have a few questions before doing so:

* A thing I only had once with the UX21, but more often with the eeepc 1001PQ was, when I turned the laptop off and then plugged in the power cord, the laptop would occasionally turn itself on. Is this a misconfiguration or just a glitch?

* PowerTOP can't read wakeups/second, GPU ops/second and VFS ops/second any more (it says -nan). Also the frequency tab's kind of messed up, it shows only Idle for all cores and at 0.0%. I must have removed some functionality from the kernel that PowerTOP needs, can anyone tell me which that is?

* The last two or three days, when updating aptitude (although I don't think it has to do directly with aptitude, that's just when I saw it), I got some disturbing kernel messages. It says, that an exception occurred with the ata1 link, resetting link and something about ACPI commands. I attached the dmesg output. Would be nice if someone had a look.

* Also in the attached kernel log, there are some messages about unknown ACPI commands to the ata1.00 link (device ?). I suspect a messy kernel config made by myself, so again, could someone tell me what that is and how to fix it? Please

* This has nothing to do with the kernel, but I'm writing this post, so I might as well include it: I configured Debian to shut down when I press the power button, but the laptop goes to standby, interrupting the shutdown. So when I wake it up, it finishes shutting down. This is most likely some configuration issue. What settings would I have to change to make it shutdown when I press the power button?

Thanks for your help,
    Peter

PS: If someone is interested, I can upload my kernel config or kernel package somewhere (UX21 with Sentelic touchpad).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darukka View Post
    @SorryGoFish could you post a howto for us beginners? would love to build my own kernel!
    I could make a how-to for generic Debian systems, not Ubuntu especially, if you are interested (I'm running Debian testing)?

I'm using the latest mainline (I think that's it) kernel, which is 3.2.2 at the moment.
    I kicked almost all drivers that I was sure I wouldn't need and built in all those that are loaded with the standard kernel. The startup time improved a little, although I didn't take any measurements, maybe I just imagined it
    The modules directory is down to 29MB vs. 105MB with the stock kernel, the kernel image itself is 4MB vs. 2.7MB, but without initrd (which gives one or two seconds).

But I have to say I'm by no means a professional, I can just write down everything I did to make a kernel.
    edit: Also I don't how much difference there is between Debian and Ubuntu regarding kernels.
    edit2: It's the stable kernel I'm using, not mainline...
    Last edited by PeterFeicht; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by darukka View Post
    I'm following the tutorial that shakabra posted.

The bluetooth fix is here. (Link found on Wiki.)

Patching kernel with custom DSDT info is around page 69. With specific notes around page 72

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just as a hint for Ubuntu users, if you want to compile your own kernel:
    http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2012/01...-ubuntu-11-10/
    (not sure if that link was mentioned before or if I found it with Google... )

I used that tutorial to compile a 3.2 kernel including Ubuntu patches (it is based on vanilla 3.2.2). I didn't touch the config, i.e., I took the default config from the oneiric 3.0 kernel and chose the default setting for new options in 3.2. Only exception, of course, is setting the path to the modified DSDT.

In addition to the packages mentioned in the blog posting, I also had to install the packages "libelf-dev", "asciidoc" and "binutils-dev" to compile the kernel.

Edit: too slow , but I hope my comments regarding config and packages are useful.

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

I got two shutdowns in a hour with shakabra's 3.2.0-12-ux31 kernel.

grub cmdline:

pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1

powertop-tunables copied from the Wiki.

DSDT tainted in dmesg checks out.

Seems to only happen when I'm off AC power, happened once with WiFi enabled, once with it disabled.

I did get a message about linux-headers-*.deb not being able to be processed correctly when I dpkg -i the kernel.

Beans

I got a shutdown with a 3.2.1 kernel compiled using benesm1's slightly modified .config and the fixed DSDT.

It felt like it took more time to get to the point where it died, but it got there.

Beans

i got same jonjondwillis 's result with shakabra's 3.2.0-12-ux31 kernel.

But it is most often when i connect a second monitor.

Bluetooth is working ok.

Page 74 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast