Page 50 of 195 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

hrod,
    If it is shorting out it's probably near one end of the chord. One way to see an intermittant short like this is to put the computer in a vary dark place and look at the connection points for any tiny sparks.

You shouldn't be too worried. Asus will replace the adapter for you. However if you have to pay shipping it will probably be cheaper to buy another yourself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    hrod,
    If it is shorting out it's probably near one end of the chord. One way to see an intermittant short like this is to put the computer in a vary dark place and look at the connection points for any tiny sparks.

You shouldn't be too worried. Asus will replace the adapter for you. However if you have to pay shipping it will probably be cheaper to buy another yourself.
    My understanding was that hrod's problem occurred whilst running on battery, not in the transition from AC to battery - so an arc would be unlikely

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hrod View Post
    It changes something to install the new BIOS ?

Don't you hear this little noise from the battery (without AC), like the light noise of a mosquito ? It changes with the brightness of the screen, and seems to disappear with the AC.
    It's a little bit annoying...
    I actually can hear this noise too. I haven't noticed until I read your post, and to hear it I have to lay my ear close to the laptop. It disappears when I have max brightness.

I am not at all disturbed by this sound, it is quiet enough for me. So my guess is everything is as it should with your computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tjajab View Post
    I tried the three finger tap, it didn't work for me, however when touching the pad with five fingers I occasionally get a middle click. Hmm.
    I found out that Unity is hijacking the three finger taps, and to what it seems, also the four finger taps. Five finger taps however works as middle clicks, but its not very convenient. Does anyone have a tip how to get around this issue (which does not involve ditching Unity)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by myszek123 View Post
    Just to let you know. unexpected shutdowns 2-4/week. Mainly regular web browsing, text editing (vim not OO type of text editing).
    I also have had a couple of unexpected shutdowns, especially when text editing, on the 3.2 final-kernel with rc6 and semaphores. I will try without rc6 a couple of days now just to see if I get any crashes without it, even though battery time is clearly negatively affected.

Beans
    Hidden!

I actually can hear this noise too. I haven't noticed until I read your post, and to hear it I have to lay my ear close to the laptop. It disappears when I have max brightness.

I am not at all disturbed by this sound, it is quiet enough for me. So my guess is everything is as it should with your computer.
    I'm hearing this too, in a quite environment though. Sometimes is annoying, sometimes it's ok. Every laptop I had so far had some kind of high pitch annoying noise. Don't know why

Beans
    Hidden!

I also have had a couple of unexpected shutdowns, especially when text editing, on the 3.2 final-kernel with rc6 and semaphores. I will try without rc6 a couple of days now just to see if I get any crashes without it, even though battery time is clearly negatively affected.
    I've had no unexpected shutdowns since the final 3.2 kernel and the only boot - option being "pcie_aspm=force" (thus rc6 disabled)

Battery time...

Also, there is a lot less graphics bugs

Hopefully it will be possible to use rc6 without unexpected shutdowns = unexpected file corruption..

I'm willing to help, as in testing, providing logs etc. I'm just not into kernel hacking

Beans

I found out that Unity is hijacking the three finger taps, and to what it seems, also the four finger taps. Five finger taps however works as middle clicks, but its not very convenient. Does anyone have a tip how to get around this issue (which does not involve ditching Unity)?
    I think I saw something like this, when I do a three finger tap unity enters some kind of window re-sizing mode. Do you have the same behavior?

Wasca

Beans

Smile Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Hi Everybody...

New zenbook owner here, and someone who hasn't done linux in several years.

Just wanted to say 'hi', and thanks to everyone who has been debugging and posting and thus providing me with a great Ubuntu experience.

My experience getting setup last night was virtually problem free (as I applied scripts and tweaks suggested here).

Today I'm at work, on battery power and USB ethernet and I've had 3 lock-ups in just a couple of hours. None last night when I was at home with wifi and AC power.

Obviously there is still something I need to resolve.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy42 View Post
    Hi Everybody...

New zenbook owner here, and someone who hasn't done linux in several years.

Just wanted to say 'hi', and thanks to everyone who has been debugging and posting and thus providing me with a great Ubuntu experience.

My experience getting setup last night was virtually problem free (as I applied scripts and tweaks suggested here).

Today I'm at work, on battery power and USB ethernet and I've had 3 lock-ups in just a couple of hours. None last night when I was at home with wifi and AC power.

Obviously there is still something I need to resolve.

Cheers!
    Well done getting it all running.

I think most of us are still experiencing shutdowns... not sure I would describe the ones I am having as "lockups", which to me means the machine is on but not responding. For me, once or twice a week the machine just seems to power down.

Anecdotally, this is due to running the 3.2 kernel.. I ran the 3.1 kernel for over a month with no such shutdowns, but with out the other benefits of the 3.2 kernel.

Hopefully we can track this final major issue down and stabilize things

Page 50 of 195 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast